What Are my Treatment Options for Irregular Shaped Upper Lip and Prominent Nasolabial Folds? (photo)

For my entire life, I have been extremely self conscious over my upper lip ( strangely shaped like the letter "M"). I am constantly asked why I appear upset, (when my mouth is closed it appears that I'm frowning). Smiling is difficult (asymetrical) My son's lips are shaped exactly like mine. I was prompted to write this post today after my son informed me that kids were teasing him about his "funny looking upper lip". $ is a concern, so I would be interested in the least $ treatment options.

Short upper lip

+2

The picture seems to show a short distance of the area from the upper lip to the nose. If you have a lot of exposure of the upper teeth in relaxation  and there is a lot of gum showing when you smile, a resection of the the top of the gum ( gingiva) tissue inside the mouth might bring down the upper lip and take away the "Bugs Bunny" look. 

Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tight upper lip

+2

I think you may have a connection to the skeleton at the base of you nose which pulls your lip up, although its hard to tell from this photo.  I can't notice that your nasolabial fold is deep, or comment on the uneven smile from this photo.

You might actually get a consultation with an accomplished rhinoplasty surgeon, especially if he or she has some background working with cosmetic treatment of cleft lips and the nose problems that go with that.

Since your son has a similar situation it seems to be genetic.

The fix is not likely to be accomplished with fillers and such.  Until you know what to do the cost is hard to estimate. 

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon