Does my TMJ Warrant Me to Get Botox Injected into my Masseter Muscle? If So, is It Permanent to a Certain Extent?

My right masseter muscle is slightly bigger than the left side of my face(I guess from chewing more on that side). I have had TMJ for 2 years now and have tried all of the home remedies to fix it but it still aggravates me occasionally. the right side of my face is noticeably bigger than my left and I feel like botox would be the best solution to make my face symmetrical again. Will botox shrink my masseter permanently or will it grow back to the way it was after the injection wears off?

Botox in the masseter

+2

Botox may be used in the masseter but only by highly trained board certified dermatoloigst or plastic surgeon with experience in treating the masseter muscle.

West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

+2

Botox will shrink the masseter muscle and will typically improve symmetry in properly selected patients. The results can be long-lasting but Botox effects only last about three months. Most people will notice some return of masseter hypertrophy which can be treated with additional Botox. Hopefully, the number of units required will reduce over time. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for Masseter Reduction/TMJ

+2

Hi Guy.  Yes, Botox has the potential to shrink the masseter on the side of your face that is overactive, potentially achieving a more symmetrical appearance.  It should also help with the TMJ issue.  

In this treatment, Botox helps "atrophy" the muscle, which means it shrinks because it is partially relaxed.  This situation is not permanent and normally the result will last between 4-6 months.   

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Botox for TMJ

+1

This is a personal decision, depending on how impairing one's TMJ is.  I have many patients that get their masseters treated just to help their TMJ, with great relief and aesthetic improvement, as the masseters are typically large in some of these patients.  Botox does not offer permanent treatment and typically patients treatment every 4-6 months to help with their TMJ.

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon