Will my tip be as swollen after closed rhinoplasty if all that is being done is fixing a hump?

I'm having closed rhinoplasty done next week in order to fix a small hump that is half cartliage and bone.However, there is no work being done to the tip. I'm going to be taking engagement pictures 6 weeks after the surgery and don't want any noticeable swelling.

There will still be some swelling

+2

You should be fine for pictures six weeks after rhinoplasty, but there will still be some swelling in your nasal tip even if no tip alteration is being done.

Clsoed rhinoplasty

+2

It is not whether it is closed or open but where the incisions are made inside the nose. If rim incisions are made you will be swollen. If an intercartilaginous incision is made you should have minimal swelling if any. In your situation I would make an intercartilaginous inicison on one side only to remove the cartilage and not disturb your tip at all.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon

Closed rhinoplasty vs open rhinoplasty

+2

Closed rhinoplasty techniques can easily accomplish a small hump removal. Open rhinoplasty will leave an incision on the columella, is more invasive and takes longer to heal, since the lymphatics are interrupted. For many examples of what can be accomplished with closed rhinoplasty, please see the link below to our rhinoplasty ballery

+2

Done right, 6 weeks is sufficient for initial resolution of majority of swelling if hump removal is the only procedure you are having done. Certain precautions can reduce bruising and swelling.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

Swelling and bruising are unpredictable and vary from patient to patient. Most patients would look good 6 weeks after nasal surgery, but the swelling continues to subtlely diminish over months. If you have any concerns about this, you should consider delaying your procedure.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best surgery. I would suggest that you discuss this with your plastic surgeon who should be board certified by the American Board of American Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla,California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

+2

If you want to take pictures at 6 weeks, you may want to do the surgery later.