My Temporary Crown Cracked and Fell Out, What Should I Do?

My temporary crown on my farthest back molar cracked in 2 pieces and fell out this afternoon. I called the dentist and they told me they were closed for the long weekend, so they can't see me until Tuesday (it's Friday now). They recommended the oral glue from the pharmacy but the two pieces won't stay together. Do I go to the emergency room?

Temporary crown cracked and fell off

+1

In case of broken temporary crown your dentist needs to repair it and cover the prepared tooth. the emergency room less likely will be able to help you. Try to call your dentist and request the repair. Next time ask them for a temporary cement that you can use at home.

Miami Cosmetic Dentist

Temp Fell Out

+1

I do not feel as though going to the ER is necessary, unless you are in alot of pain. You should be just fine until Tuesday. To keep it clean and protected, place warm cotton pellets , moistened with Fluoride Rinse (ACT) and protect with sugarless gum.

Svetlana Novak, DMD
Natick Cosmetic Dentist

No reason to panic

+1

It doesn't sound as if you are experiencing any pain or sensitivity, so you should be ok without the temporary crown until your dentist can see you to replace the temporary crown (or possibly, until the permanent crown is done in a few days?).   Make sure you keep the area clean and minimize heavy chewing in the area until then.  

Mika Miyamoto-Shemali, DDS
Portland Cosmetic Dentist

Temp fell out?

+1

I don't feel you need to go to ER unless you are in pain. the pharm should have some oral gel to help with pain and you should be able to find a dentist on call I know our offices are open good luck... If no pain you should be able to wait until Tuesday.

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD    CEO Baystate Dental PC

Kevin Coughlin, DMD
Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

Temporary Crown Cracked

+1

Most dentists have someone cover for them when they are not available.  I would definitely discuss this with your dentist, as there is no excuse for this.  If you can't get a satisfying response, switch dentists.

Murray Bruckel, DDS
Norwalk Cosmetic Dentist