Will my "Telephone Deformity" Resolve? (photo)

I had otoplasty two weeks ago and I'm concerned about the shape of my ears. I look like I have what they call telephone deformity. I have read mixed things about wether this shape will resolve itself over time or not. I'm not sure what kind of surgery was done. I do however also have a hearing aid shape in the cochlear bowl?? And my satures were removed 7 days post op however the nurse informed me he had also used desolvable satures too. What are your opinions?

Otoplasty/ Ear Surgery Results

+1

Hello D1414-  Time improves many things, but it may not even out the profile contour of your ear. Otoplasty often address two issues in ears: 1) The superior crus is not fully developed and this causes the upper ear to stick out  2)the conchal bowl's back wall is too high and this makes the mid-portion of the ear to stick out too far. It appears that you had both issues addressed. When the conchal bowl is reduced in size, sometimes too much can be removed or the cartilage edges are overlapped, both of which can cause some narrowing in the mid-portion of your ear on its profile. You can wait to see what changes time can make, but I would also discuss with your surgeon his/her thoughts on going back into the ear (in the office with a local anesthetic) and releasing the sutures in the cartilage. 

Good luck to you.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Telephone Ear postoperative result

+1

Your pictures do demonstrate a telephone ear deformity.  It may improve somewhat over the ensuing months 1-3 months.  In my opinion the shape of the ear will need to be addressed in a revision otoplasty procedure.  Depending on how much distance is between the helical rim and the skin behind your ear, will determine whether or not the whole ear needs to be addressed.  I prefer to remove conchal bowl cartilage at the time of the initial procedure and if necessary set the earlobe closer to the scalp.  This prevents many of the issues that you are experiencing currently. Obviously, it is also necessary to compare the two ears to make a full assessment.   Best of Luck. 

George T. Moynihan, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will my "Telephone Deformity" Resolve?

+1

Your photo do no show a classic "telephone deformity."   At two weeks, your ear shape may change as the tissue relaxes a bit over the next several months.

John F. Reinisch, MD

Telephone ear? Too early to call

+1

At 2 weeks out, you are just at the beginning of the healing phase. While much of your swelling may have gone down, the ear shape will probably relax a bit over time. "Telephone ear" is one in which the mid portion of the ear is too tight (close to the head) in relationship to the upper portion and the lower portion. Over time, there is some relaxation of the ear before it takes its final shape.  Don't let the rules and the standards of others overly burden your satisfaction with the result. If you are happy, that is what matters the most. 

C.W. David Chang, MD
Columbia Facial Plastic Surgeon