Would my Tattoo Be Affected by Breast Augmentation? (photo)

I'm heavily considering a breast augmentation but have a tattoo on my ribs very close to where the incision would be, i'm just wondering how this would be affected and if the tattoo would move/become deformed etc? Thanks in advance.

Are tattoos affected by implants?

+1

The tattoo will not change but a larger implant could result in some of the wording on the lower pole of the breast where it no longer is visible except from below.  Your doctor should be able to tell you how large your implant diameter will be after you size and choose what you desire.

Would my Tattoo Be Affected by Breast Augmentation?

+1

The answer is no. A properly placed implant should not affect the tattoo area at all!

Kenneth A. Marshall, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Tattoos near an augmented breast

+1

I have been interested in this issue (and the related issue of implants "lifting" the breast) for many years and many cases. 

The short answer is that a properly done augmentation with implants that fit the breast and do not distort it will not affect the skin and the tattoo itself even if it was on the breast. The same is true of stretch marks, scars, and other skin elements such as moles. 

What potentially changes is the contour and proximity of the breast in relation to the skin with the tattoo near it. If the implant is properly fitted to the width of the breast, sometimes the inframammary crease must be lowered and the lower pole of the breast filled out. This would make the tattoo look closer to the breast and even hide part of it under the filled out lower pole of the breast even if the tattoo itself doesn't change. It looks like the tattoo moved just as a breast looks lifted by an implant even though the only change was the breast filling out. 

The other issue is "larger" vs. "smaller" implants. Properly fitted implants are the width of the breast. The larger or smaller is only forward volume options and wouldn't change the issue of the relation of the breast edge to the tattoo.

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

No, it does not appear from the photo you show that your tattoo would be effected by breast augmentation.

+1

Thank you for your question and the photos.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

How Will My Tattoo be Affected?

+1

Thank you for the picture. While it appears that the tattoo is fairly low on your chest wall, the words "see you" may be affected by the augmentation. This will depend largely on the volume of the implant chosen. You should consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who will have the benefit of an in-person exam and thus be able to render a more accurate opinion.

Good luck.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD

Would my Tattoo Be Affected by Breast Augmentation

+1

A straight on view would also be helpful. Depending upon the size of the implant you choose, it may be that the "see you" would be elevated a bit.

When you are ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.

Thank your for your question, best wishes.

Breast Augmentation and Existing Tattoo?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

Your existing tattoo seems to be relatively low and on your side in relation to your breast.  Therefore, I doubt that it will be affected to any significant degree by your breast augmentation procedure.  The smaller the breast  implant size  used,  the less likely to tattoo will be  altered. For more precise advice, check with your plastic surgeon who will have the ability to examine you from every angle.