Will Losing Weight After a Tummy Tuck Lead to Flabby Skin?

I am worried that my stomach will be flabby again if i loze weight after. My Surgery Date is in a Few Days I Have Not Lost All my Weight. What Will Happen Losing 30 Lb After my Tummy Tuck , & Lipo

Weight loss after a tummy tuck

+2

If you lose 30 pounds after a tummy tuck, you may be left with some loose skin and a contour which is not as nice as the day of surgery. You would need to lose the weight very gradually in order to minimize the amount of loose skin. You should discuss this in greater detail with your plastic surgeon before having your procedure done.

Dr.Bruno

Weight loss after tummy tuck

+2

Dear worrier,

Well, I will try to make you feel better after the negative answers that you recieved in regard to weight loss after tummy tuck. My experience in over 1000 tummy tucks, is that the overwhelming  majority of the patients are doing fine after significant weight loss from tummy tuck.  The only ones who might have skin redundency after surgery are those with massive weight loss, like after bypass surgery, because their skin elasticity is impaired. As long as your  surgeon is an experienced board certified plastic surgeon and he tightens your muscles and skin adequately  , you should not have a flabby skin after surgery. I would also strongly recommend to you the book 'Sugar busters'. If you will follow the book recommendation and change your eating habbits, there is a very good chance that you will lose a lot of weight.

Dr Widder

Shlomo Widder, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Loosing weight after Tummy Tuck

+1

It is recommended that a patient be close to their ideal weight before undergoing cosmetic surgery. in most cases if you lose less than 20 pounds after a tummy tuck it will not lead to loose skin, but once you get past the 20 pound mark then you may end up with loose skin and have to have a repeat tightening of the skin.

John S. Poser, MD

Tummy tuck

+1

Great question! Losing an additional 30 pounds after a tummy tuck will most likely improve your appearance even more.  It is unlikely that you will need the surgery done all over again because of looseness of skin.  Even more importantly, make  sure you don't gain weight after the surgery which is a much more common problem we see.  Good luck! I'm sure your surgery will go great.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Losing Weight After Tummy Tuck Surgery

+1

In general, it is in every patient's best interest to achieve a stable weight  (where they plan to be long-term, without  significant fluctuation)  before undergoing elective plastic surgical procedures. This stable weight will minimize the chances that post operative weight changes will compromise the end results (one way or another); therefore minimizing the chances that further surgery will be necessary (at least for weight gain/loss reasons).

If you do proceed with surgery and then lose 30 pounds, you may have skin laxity that may require revisionary surgery.

I would suggest that you discuss this with your surgeon so that he/she can help you make a good decision.

30 pound weight loss after a tummy tuck and liposuction

+1

If you are successful in loosing an additional 30 pounds after a tummy tuck and liposuction, you may have some skin laxity, but nothing major.  It would be more prudent to loose the weight prior to your proposed surgery to achieve the best possible surgical result.  No one can tell you where your weight loss will occur.  There is no such thing as selectively loosing more weight in one part of your body than the other.  Reaching your goal weight prior to surgery allows your plastic surgeon to conour your body more effectively based on what is left after weight loss.  Good luck!

Joseph N. Togba, MD
Oakland Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss after a tummy tuck

+1

Certainly you do not want to starve yourself prior to surgery to optimize your weight, as this may caused delayed healing from poor pre-surgical nutrition. However your ideal weight prior to surgery will minimize your chances of having further loose skin with post-surgical weight loss. You may consider delaying your surgery until you achieve your weight goal.

William Loutfy, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss after tummy tuck

+1

Body contouring should be done when you are at your goal weight or a stable plateau. Losing 30 lbs after a tummy tuck will lead to some laxity of the skin. You will certainly look better than if you never had the procedure but you will lose some of the aesthetic benefit. Also when you are overweight at the time of your procedure there is an increased risk of complications with your procedure.

Discuss these issues with your board certified plastic surgeon to determine your best coarse of action.

I hope this was helpful and good luck

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Losing wight after tummy tuck and lipo

+1

Thank you for your question. This is a very common question and you should address it with your plastic surgeon before surgery. It would be difficult to give you a good answer since physical  examination is part of the answer. If you are currently have ideal weight and body mass index,then you don't need to lose the wight after surgery. If you are overweight and your plastic surgeon thinks you should lose more before the surgery then I think you should wait.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Losing 30 lbs will not ruin a good tummy tuck

+1

You may never lose all the weight you want to lose if you don't get started now with this tummy tuck/lipo procedure. The psychological effect of seeing yourself in the mirror with with a new tummy will supercharge your motivation and accelerate you efforts to SHAPE UP. Don't put it off.  Dr Foster 

Lawrence Foster, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon