Is It Possible my Surgeon Took out Too Much Fat After Lower Bleph? (photo)

4 weeks after lower blepharoplasty and skin pinch and it looks like my surgeon took more fat out in the left eye. Is this possible? My right eye suffered a bit more trauma - a subconjunctival hemorrhage - and while that's healed up quite nicely, the right looks a LOT different than the left still. He mentioned that the fat distribution was different in the right eye. Is it possible he didn't take enough out? My eyes look pretty different from one another.

Too Much Fat After Lower Bleph?

+1

While it is always possible that your surgeon took out too much fat from the lower eyelid surgery, it is too early to tell.

Allow your eyelids to heal. Look at your before pictures and identify any asymmetries. Then, review and discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

I'd recommend waiting at least 3 months before you make any comparisons. BTW, looks like he/she did a reasonable job.

Good luck.

Is It Possible my Surgeon Took out Too Much Fat After Lower Bleph?

+1

From your picture,  you appear to have a reasonable early result.  You appear to have residual swelling.  Hollowing from aggressive fat removal does not appear to be present at this time.                                                                                                                               Kenneth Hughes, MD                                                                                                           Los Angeles, CA

Asymmetry an early hollow appearance after a lower eyelid blepharoplasty

+1

It is most likely too early to judge your result.  You should ask your surgeon if he is satisfied with your result at this time.   It is very important not to hollow out the eyes when performing a lower eyelids blepharoplasty.  It would help to review your pre-op photos as well.  

Too much fat remove is so very common.

+1

However, you actually look quite swollen.  Persistent edema is common after surgery.  Although recovery from eyelid surgery is soft sold, it really takes several months for most of the swelling to settle down.  Please take a deep breath and give yourself time to heal.  Consider reposting your concern in 8 more weeks.

Asymmetry after Blepharoplasty

+1

Thank you for the question and for your picture. It's still fairly early after your surgery to truly judge symmetry. That being said, I do see the difference that you describe.  It is possible that one side has a bit more residual swelling (deep bruising or tissue edema), particularly since you seem to have had more immediate post-op issues on the right.  In some cases, this swelling can be treated with small injections of a steroid. After a few more months, if the eyes are still markedly uneven, a revision blepharoplasty can be considered.

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon