My Surgeon is Recommending 2 Different Profiles, These This Sound Normal? (photo)

I 'm scheduled for surgery in 2 wks with a Board Certified PS. However I'm a bit spooked after just being informed by his assistant that I would be getting 2 different profile implants. I am currently 36A/B slightly tuberous. My PS is recommending silicone textured implants, 354cc Mid-Range for the B breast & 400cc HP for the 36A breast. Does two different profiles sound like a reasonable approach or should I push for both to be the same profile implants?

Different implant sizes

+1

It's good have a plan going into surgery, but I tell my patients that I place "sizers" or samples of the implants into the breasts before placing the final ones.  This way, I can get the best possible size match with the implants.

Different Profiles for Different Breasts.

+1

You have a congenital malformation with the small minimally developed breast on the left.  Likely your surgeon is trying to get more projection (make it stick out more) on the L to make it look more like the right, based on his or her examination of your two (different) breasts.

This is a conversation you need to have with your plastic surgeon to be clear on what are the problems and the goals, before you go to the operating room.  Don't "push" for anything until you understand the rationale for the choices.  Then rely on your surgeon's expertise when you are comfortable with the plan.  Good luck!

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetrical breasts may need asymmetrical augmentation

+1

Thanks for supplying the photos which clearly show that your right breast is larger and a different shape to the left. Your plastic surgeon has determined that the volume difference and shape difference can be corrected by putting a larger implant with a higher profile on the left side.

If you have concerns, please go back and discuss them with your surgeon before the big day, but, from what I can tell, you seem to be in good hands.

Damian Marucci, MBBS, FRACS
Australia Plastic Surgeon

Profile and assymetry

+1

There is volume assymetry and projection assyemtry at the moment to correct each yuor surgeon is planning different volumes and different projections. I think this is a good plan

Jeremy Hunt 

Jeremy Hunt, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Two different implant profiles to correct asymmetry

+1

Attempting to correct asymmetry with implants alone is a challenge.  While unusual it is not beyond reason to consider two different profiled implants to correct your asymmetry.  Your plastic surgeon will most likely try using trial implants first to see what ultimately looks best.  

Different implant styles and sizes

+1

can be used to improve symmetry but you certainly should be on board for this.  Talk to your surgeon for clarification about why he picked those sizes and styles and what he anticipates will result from this.  As for texturing, what is your surgeon's rationale for using it over smooth round implants? 

Curtis Wong, MD

Implant choices and asymmetry

+1

It sounds like your surgeon is trying to use two different profiles to accommodate for the asymmetry between the two.

I have different sized breast, should I be concerned?

+1

I think everyone has answered this well. However, one thing you need to keep in mind is that you will not have perfect symmetry after the operation. If your surgeon has done his homework, he likely has picked a very good match for your frame and differences in symmetry.  You do need to realize that no matter which implants are chosen you will have postoperative asymmetry.  You need to be accepting and understanding that asymmetry is normal. If you are not, no matter how good of a match you receive you will still be disappointed. Don't set yourself up  for a mental failure!

Brian Dorner, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Using different profile implants for breast asymmetry

+1

Your surgeon is trying to use two implants with the same width but different projection to adjust for the fact that one breast is smaller than the other.  Most likely your plastic surgeon did some measurements and determined that the choice of implants is the best combination to give you improved symmetry.

Martin Jugenburg

Toronto Cosmetic Surgery Institute

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Different profiles for different breasts?

+1

Dear Number2,

thank you for your question and photo.

I believe your plastic surgeon is right on here in choice of different projections of implants since you have a mis-match in projection already.  He is trying to equalize this mis-match.  As far as exact implants, I would have to actually measure you to determine this.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon