My Surgeon Has Said to Have Low Profile Unders, Will this Help me Achieve A to D Cup?

I'm 5 ft 7, 9 stone with a current bra size of 32A, 27 inch ribcage. My surgeon has recommended that I have 385/415 low profile teardrop implants to correct the sizes and also due to my lack of lower pole breast tissue. He has said I will need 13x13 base implants with a projection of 5.2 as I have a wide chest and broad shoulders. I have told him I want to look a D/DD, will this achieve the size I want? I also don't want to look flat I want to look full! Thanks

Choosing a breast size and low profile, teardrop implants

+2

In my opinion and experience there is no value in teardrop shaped implants and some potential problems related to the shape and textured surface. A round, smooth surface implant of saline-filled or gel filled will do the best for nearly all breast augmentation situations. I would also disagree with the use of external sizers as these are generally misleading in relation to sizing the actual implant used and the end result. 

A round, low profile implant, whether saline-filled or silicone gel-filled, that is properly fitted to the width of the breast (and 13 cm is an average breast width) and positioned below the pectoralis muscle will increase the breast apparent size by about one cup size. The maximum size increase with a properly fitted implant would be a high profile implant of the same width. This would increase the breast size by about two cup sizes. Therefore your expectations of a three or more cup size increase is not realistic. 

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Implant Selection Process

+1

I do not agree with the use of low profile implants, especially under your muscle.  In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

To get the desired cup size, try implant sizers or do 3D modelling

+1
I have not seen your pictures but given the information provided, a low profile 385-415cc is unlikely to give you a D/DD volume.  You would probably be happier with a round implant than a shaped implant.  Once again, without having seen you and discussed this with you, all I can say in my experience women asking for D/DD size (going from A) are always much happier with round implant look rather than a shaped and low profile implant.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Breast Implant Size

+1

I always use the technique of having the patient try on the implants is a stretchy bra and a top. This can simulate how the patient will look. Once the size neighborhood has been achieved for the look then we talk about specifics regarding that particular patient, the advantages of  one style over another, etc. My sense is that you are concerned with the way things will look and it is hard to get a clear idea with just looking at the dimensions of  the implants. Have your surgeon let you try on various size implants.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Implant volume for breast augmentation size increase A to D is a case by case decision

+1

Your surgeon that you saw has an advantage on all of us.  He has seen you, talked to you, and done a physical examination.

If you are unsure of the plastic surgeon's recommendation, you can get additional consults with other plastic surgeons. A physical examination and in-office sizing is the only way to tell for sure.

Best of luck.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Best Breasts Implants to Achieve my Goals?

+1

In order to give you accurate advice, much more information is needed.  Most importantly, physical examination will determine your current situation;  a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals will also be critical in determining which operation and/or breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "D/DD" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. 
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.

I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.

Again, clear communication with your plastic surgeon will be critical in the process of achieving your goals. 

If, after you have communicated your goals, you still have concerns about your plastic surgeon's recommendations it made behoove you to seek additional consultations in person.

Breast implant sizes

+1

Going from an A to D/DD  is a large change and sometimes isn't safe.  I do not use textured, anatomic implants so I can't comment on the implants that have been selected for you.  My preferred method for implant sizing is to have the patient try on sizes in the office and determine the "look" they are interested in.  Bra size isn't important as long as someone achieves the "look" that they want.  Bra sizes are not standardized like height and weight so a D cup at Nordstroms may be differently shaped than a D cup at Victoria's Secret.  As long as we achieve the desired look then patients are happy.

Not all cup size changes are possible or safe.  Bigger implants in small breasts can result in poor scarring, significant implant visibility, rippling, and asymmetry.  Don't forget that you can still use padded bras after surgery.  If your surgeon determines it isn't safe to use a really large implant based on your breast shape then you can still augment your look with clothing.  It is better to be safe with this surgery then to try to do too much too soon.  Good luck.

Jason E. Leedy, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Cup Sizes and Implants

+1

Hello Abbey,

There is no implant volume to bra size conversion for many reasons.  The choice of the implant size, shape, profile is the surgeon's responsibility.  It is your responsibility to communicate to your surgeon your desired goal.  Frequently, the patient's goal is not obtainable without significantly increasing their risk for complications, and it's the surgeon's responsibility to be honest and tell his prospective patient if that is the case.

By your description, you are thin, small breasted, and have a narrow ribcage. I would tell you that your goal is unreasonable given your dimensions, and to move forward would require implants that are too large for your anatomy, increasing the likelihood of complications.

13x13 is round, not teardrop.  Projection of 5.2 with a base of 13 is most definitely high profile. I would not recommend this based on your description.

Best of luck.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Breast implant choices

+1

Choosing the right implant for you requires a phsycial exam and a discussion of your desires. I am personally not a big fan of textured implants of the low profile implants( usualy too wide).