Will my Surgeon Give Me a Breast Implant Revision? (photo)

I'm really disappointed with my size. I had a 32a and wanted a D. I tried on the sizers and decided to go with 400cc since they told me that would be a D! When I got out of my surgery, my friends and family could not notice a difference. I tried to tell my dad on the phone abt the surgery. When he came over, he thought I was joking cause he could not notice a difference. They look like B's to me. I'm very unhappy. Will my surgeon give me a revision at no charge? Do most surgeons offer that?

Breast Implant Revision

+1

I am sorry to hear about your disappointment with the results. Communicate your concerns to your surgeon in a clear and calm manner. It sounds like you are early in recovery. Focus on the recovery, and do not judge the results prematurely. After you heal, you can discuss a revision with your surgeon. It is not likely that the surgery would be free, but the surgeon should be able to accomodate you to the best of his/her ability.

Unhappy with breast size after breast augmentation

+1

I'm sorry you are not happy with your results. Trying on 'sizers' is not a realistic way to determine exact post op breast size. I'm sure that after waiting for your tissues to stretch, your actual size will be closer to a D than you might have thought. Do yourself a favor and give yourself time to heal and then go for a fitting. Patients' perception of a certain size often differs from reality. I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Revision of breast implants

+1

Everyone looks a bit different with implants. As for a revision, you should talk to your surgeon and his specific policies.

Free Revision?

+1

I don't think your results is still an A cup. Depending on where on where you buy your bras and the style and sixe could be very different. I never promise a patient a particular cup size. in addition, patients who want to go significantly bigger do not always have enough room as the tissue can only expand a limited amount. If my patient and I have a disagreement on size and seems legitimate, I offer them a reduced fee, but never do the surgery for free.

Howard N. Robinson, MD

Unhappy with Augmentation Size?

+1

This is an issue that can come up if you being the patient did not relay what size or post-op look you desired or if your surgeon did not l pay enough attention to your expectations. Increasing or decreasing your implant size is not considered a revision and usually entails a simple exchange of the implants if they are in the correct position. I would advise you to take a deep breath, relax, allow yourself to heal and discuss these issues with your surgeon.

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Dissatisfied after breast augmentation

+1

There are limitations to breast augmentation based on the amount of skin present.  Shoehorning in too big an implant if the skin envelope is too small causes complications and non-natural results.  If you have not had any complications and are merely dissatisifed with the size you can easily have the implants exchanged.  If this is a case of small skin envelopes your best bet is to wait about 8-12 months so the skin can stretch out some.

In my practice there are no surgical fees for revision.  There are surgicenter fees and implant fees, both of which are usually discounted for revisions.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Dissatisfied with result of breast augmentation

+1

The problem here doesn't seem to be problems with surgery or healing that would require a "revision" but rather a misunderstanding of sizing and results which is common with the use of external sizers to judge size and using the number of cc's as if that was equivalent to cup sizes. The decision to change to larger or different implants is not a revision but rather a choice on the part of the patient just as the original surgery was. Plastic surgeons have their own individual way of handling this but you can imagine what would happen if a plastic surgeon had to change implants for no charge just because the patient decides she doesn't like the size chosen for the original procedure. 

There is no good measure for breast volume before or after the surgery and cup sizes are relative to the chest circumference and all over the place in terms of style and brand. Fitting an implant to a breast is like fitting a body to a dress or a foot to a shoe. The key measurement is the width of the breast -- the implant diameter must match this. The patient can choose the forward projection volume (low, medium, high) and the tissues will accommodate this, but the maximum size increase is about two cup sizes. So the expectation of going from an A cup to a D cup was unrealistic and using external  implants or bra-stuffers is not a realistic way to judge this. A 400 cc implant might be huge in some women and not very big another woman. The plastic surgeon should be experienced enough to size an implant properly and know what effect it's going to have but it's far from an objective outcome that can be clearly shown to the patient before surgery. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy with size after breast augmentation

+1

It is difficult from the photos provided to tell more about the size of your breasts, but if you are unhappy, then that is all that matters. However, this isn't necessarily anyones fault, and if you sized in a 400 cc range and that is what your surgeon used  - then I'm not sure what you can do. No volume equals a specific cup size and no surgeon should be able to guarantee a specific cup size either. Also, you need to compare true pre and post op photos to judge the final result. Not the opinion of your dad. If you are unhappy with the size after evaluating the photos, the only hope you have is a revision, but I'm not sure you can expect your surgeon to do this for free. 

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD