Should I Ask my Surgeon to Correct Deviated Septum Along Side Correcting Dorsal Hump and Drooping Tip? (photo)

I have a dorsal hump, drooping tip and slightly deviated septum. A surgeon told me that while it is worth correcting dorsal hump and drooping tip, the septum should be left untouched as it is very slightly deviated and not much noticeable. I have following 2 questions: 1. Should I ask my surgeon to correct septum or should I leave it untouched? 2. Should the surgeon charge extra for correcting deviated septum? Does it involve so much of extra effort that he will charge me $1000 extra?

Septoplasty along with rhino?

+2

Commonly, a portion of the septum is removed during rhinoplasty in order to obtain cartilage that serves as grafting material to help rebuild the nose.  Even in patients without breathing difficulty this may be necessary to obtain the best result.  That said, if you are having nasal obstruction and the septal deviation is the cause, I do think it should be corrected at the same time.  Some surgeons are not as comfortable operating on the septum based on their background/training so if you are concerned, a second opinion never hurts.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Correction of the deviated septum is a functional procedure.

+2

If you're having no breeding problems there's no reason to perform a septoplasty. Since a septoplasty is extra work she should expect to pay the surgeon.

Should I Ask my Surgeon to Correct Deviated Septum Along Side Correcting Dorsal Hump and Drooping Tip?

+1

YES! That is a septa-rhinoplasty operation. Best to have further IN PERSON discussion s with your surgeon. 

Rhinoplasty and septoplasty

+1

The septoplasty  procedure is performed for medical necessity when it is severe enough and restricting airflow dynamics through the nose. A mildly deviated septum is not repaired. This is submitted to the patient's insurance  and is usually a covered benefit. Co-pays and deductibles apply, if the surgeon is contracted with your medical insurance. A rhinoplasty is considered cosmetic and needs be paid for by the patient.

Septoplasty and rhinoplasty

+1

If your nose is deviated and your spetum is involved, then it needs to be treated. The fees will vary depending upon the severity of the deformity.

+1

If the septum is felt to be causing nasal obstructive symptoms, then septoplasty may be reasonable.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA