Was My Surgeon Too Conservative on my Saddlebag Lipo? (photo)

I am 5 days post-op on my saddlebags area. I had open incisions, and have been walking, elevating my legs, wearing the compression garment, and taking Advil. I'm 28, 125lbs, 5'7, and around 100cc's was removed per side. The attached photos look exactly as I did prior to the surgery. Also, I've had very little pain. It seems to me like all the 'bulk' in my outer thighs is fat, not swelling. If it was swelling wouldn't I have seen a contour change at least? Was my PS too conservative?

Liposuction and post operative results

+2

At 5 days post liposuction, it is stiil very early after your surgery.  I believe you will continue to see the areas that were liposuctioned shrink further over the next 3 to 6 weeks.  If you have a compression garmet, you should continue to wear it. Although 100 cc per side is a moderate amount of liposuction, I don't think you surgeon was too conservative in the amount he/she removed.  Give it a little more time.  Best of luck.

San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Saddlebags need time to improve

+1

At 5 days you do have some swelling present. In general you are 50% of the way there at 6 weeks and 80% at 3 months.  Re-evaluate at 6 months and decide if you need additional liposuction.  When large areas are treated with liposuction there is always some degree of fluid retention.  Give it time and you should get some resolution.

Was My Surgeon Too Conservative on my Saddlebag Lipo?

+1

At 5 days it is too early to tell, I think you need to give it more time to make a valid judgment on it.

Julio Garcia, MD

Swelling at one week post-op liposuction

+1

At five days, it is a bit too early to say whether this is fat or swelling.  Wait at least 3-4 months. If the tissue is still there then you may benefit from more aggressive liposuction. Its too early to tell.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Saddlebag Lipo Early Result

+1

At 5 days out, it is too early to draw any conclusions.  I would continue to wear the compression garment.  It is OK to share your concerns with your Plastic Surgeon.  Ask him/her what to expect, and what their usual post operative plan is, (i.e.; how long wearing compression garment, when to ramp up exercise, etc).

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Liposuction

+1

100 cc's is pretty conservative a number from each side.  Albeit, there certainly is swelling at this point, you need to give it a few months to settle down.

Liposuction Results?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

At 5 days post op liposuction surgery it  is much too early to determine the final results of the procedure.

Swelling is part of the healing process.  The swelling can take months to subside and even longer for skin to “redrape".  At that point you will see the final results. 

Best Wishes.

+1

Still early but I see your concern. Was your doctor a boarded PS? My early guess is you may need revision after 3 months. Sorry

Too Conservative on Liposuction?

+1

Five days after surgery is a bit too early to judge but you can discuss this with your surgeon at your next visit. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Lipo too conservative?

+1

I would talk to your surgeon directly about this. Ask him/her how much aspirate volume came off of each outer thigh. You have minimal bruising and swelling so it's hard to tell what your outcome will be. Communicate with the surgeon is best!

Michele A. Shermak, MD