Are Surgeons Open to Do Revision For Patients Who Didn't Have Their First Surgery With Them?

Mini tuck and thigh lipo and ab lipo. My surgeon is being non responsive.

New Surgeon To Do Revisional Surgery

+3

It's always best practice to see your original surgeon first as they know you the best & you have built a relationship with them, but yes, most surgeons will see you for a consultation.  If they feel they can help you, they will offer you their recommendation and if you decide, you can proceed with surgery.  Make sure to do your homework and find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with whom you feel comfortable.  Best of luck!

Irvine Plastic Surgeon

Revisionary Plastic Surgery Concerns?

+2

Yes, generally speaking, many plastic surgeons will perform revisionary  surgery for patients who were not their patients initially. However, as a patient, you should be very careful in seeking consultation with well experienced and ethical board certified plastic surgeons who will provide you with judicious advice. 

For example, sometimes revisionary surgery will not improve the situation significantly. Understanding patient expectations and goals will also the very important in the communication process. Often, despite disappointing patients, it is best to avoid any further surgery.

Generally speaking, revisionary surgery can be more complicated than the first time operation. In  my practice I tried to convey to patients that the goals should be specific improvement, not perfection.

Revisional Surgery By A New Plastic Surgeon

+2

The answer to that question depends highly on the plastic surgeon's personality and practice philosophy. Some plastic surgeon's view other surgeon's unhappy patients as potential problems for them as well and prefer to only do revisions on their own work. Conversely, some plastic surgeon's view such patient's problems as challenges and take them on in a compassionate desire to be of help. Neither approach is right or wrong. But if you find a plastic surgeon who willing to evaluate and even treat you, come in to the initial appointment with all of your records and avoid negative commentary on your previous surgeon. Also be prepared that your new plastic surgeon may want to talk to your previous surgeon as well about your case. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Revisions

+2

Most plastic surgeons will do revisions, but be careful. Make sure your surgeon is experienced and has dealt with your problem before. Also make sure you have realistic expectations of what can be done, so discuss best and worst scenarios.

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

How to pick a plastic surgeon for revision surgery

+2

Revision surgery is often more difficult than the original operation, and each revision if unsuccessful makes it even more challenging the next time. Many times it is tempting to consider a simple fix to see it it works but you can "burn your bridges" if it doesn't. The revision needs to provide a definitive solution. For those reasons you want to find a surgeon who does revision surgery as a large part of his or her practice, so you can maximize the chances of getting the first revision right.  Also, you will probably be wise to see more than one.

Richard Baxter, MD

Revisions for body contour

+2

I will do revisions for patients when indicated and I think I can improve their result.  If your surgeon is not responding to you, then go for another opinion.

Revisional Surgery

+2

A large bulk of my practice consists of revisional surgery, so the answer to your question is yes. There is a wide range of revisions that we see in the office from breast, scar revisions, or fat grafting to correct liposuction deformities.

I hope this helps you and good luck,

Fadi Chahin MD, FACS

Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

Diplomat, American Board of Surgery

Diplomat, American Board of Plastic Surgery

Fadi Chahin, MD, FACS

+1

Provided that there is a result that can be improved, I offer to help with that improvement on patients of other physicians.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and revision procedures each year.  Look at before and after photo galleries to determine the improvement you may expect.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Revision surgery

+1

I do revisions on a lot of patients who did not have their original surgery with me.  I have to treat those patients as new patients to my practice so they do not get a discounted fee like they might at their original doctor's office.  Still, if your doctor is not being responsive to your needs then perhaps it is in your best interest to seek help elsewhere.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Are Surgeons Open to Do Revision For Patients Who Didn't Have Their First Surgery

+1

Patients often choose another surgeon for a revision procedure for a wide variety of reasons. Most surgeons do revisions on their own and others' patients as part of their practices.  In  the situation you describe, it may also be a good way to get a second opinion about the outcome. Some patients find that the second opinion is different than the one they got from their own surgeon, but sometimes the advice will be not to do anything further. 

Thanks for your question, all the best.