Will my Stretch Marks Still Be over my Belly Button After Tummy Tuck?

Hi im 21 years old and i have a four year old son i have stretch marks maby an inch over my belly button i and the go from that hight all the way around to my hips i was just wounderin if they will go lower then my belly button or will they still be above? Thanks

Tummy Tuck and Stretch Marks

Thank you for your question. The stretch marks you see above your belly button will now be very low on your abdomen. The belly button will be relocated higher on the abdomen, and almost all of the stretch marks will be eliminated. Be sure to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for this procedure. I hope this helps.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover: #stretchmarks, #MommyStripes and more

mommy makeover: #stretchmarks, #MommyStripes and more:
Removal of the striae above the belly button depends upon how much loose skin you have and how high the incision is made above the pubic bone

Stretch Marks Will Likely Remain...

The aesthetic goals of tummy tuck surgery include removal of redundant abdominal tissue, improved abdominal contour, tightened abdominal muscles and removal of stretch marks.Most stretch marks develop below the level of the umbilicus where they can be removed with an abdominoplasty.
Occasionally, stretch marks occur above the level of the umbilicus and these might not be removed with an abdominoplasty.In this case, the downward pull of the flaps and subsequent stretching of the skin during this procedure may result in less noticeable stretch marks.The procedure also relocates residual stretch marks to a lower level where they are less visible.Unfortunately, at this time, there is no good way to manage stretch marks short of removal.

Stretchmark removal with tummy tuck

You should see an experienced board certified plastic surgeon for a physical examination. They may be able to give you a better idea of how much can be improved with a tummy tuck, or if there are more suitable options for you.

A Tummy Tuck Can Address Your Stretch Marks

Thanks for your question. A tummy tuck removes skin, and if that skin has stretch marks, they are eliminated, too. Those that are left behind are usually pulled lower on the abdomen. The ones around your hips may not change. It's difficult to say what your results would be like without seeing photos. Generally, though, a traditional tummy tuck does affect the areas both above and below the navel. Be sure to talk to your surgeon about your interest in reducing the appearance of your stretch marks. He or she should be able to customize a surgical plan that addresses those concerns. Good luck!

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

The stretchmarks that are not removed will be made lower relative to the belly button. Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of mommy makeovers each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

A tummy tuck should remove most stretch marks

Each patient is different. However, it sounds like you would benefit from a tummy tuck, Your board certified plastic surgeon should be able to remove all or most stretch marks from your abdomen. 

Steven M. Katz, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

It is difficult to give you a accurate answer without photos and a physical examination. Please, see a board certified plastic surgeon to explore your options.

B. Kalantarian, MD

It is hard to give much of a specific answer without seeing some photos, and even then, without a physical exam this would only be an educated guess. 

On "average" a plastic surgeon hopes to remove all the skin from navel down to the incision in the midline. The upper incision curves downward, so less is removed at the sides than in the center. All depends on how lax is the skin above the navel. If you have enough laxity, the stretch marks an inch above the navel will likely be below the navel after a TT. 

A consultation will provide the answers you want. 

When you are ready for an in person consultation,RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.

Stretch marks

This is difficult to answer without a physical exam.  Typically, stretch marks at the level of the belly button or lower are removed with a tummy tuck.  But the end result depends on your baseline anatomy, location and distribution of stretch marks, and quality of your skin. See a board certified PS to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX