What Can I Do with my Stretch Marks in my Upper Arm? Laser or Surgery?

Cellulaze to tighten the skin

+1
The areas with stretch marks may need to be treated with a laser, Cellulaze or Precision TX. This will help to tighten and thicken the skin, giving your arms a smoother appearance. Consult with your surgeon to find out if this is the best procedure for you.

Stretch Marks and Cellulaze

+1
Stretch marks have always been a very difficult problem to treat without actually cutting out the involved piece of skin.  Then you trade one thing you don't like for something else - a scar.  The trade off  has to be worth it and in exposed areas like the arms unless the deformity is severe it's usually not a great trade off. Unfortunately lasers do very little to improve on the appearance of stretch marks unless they are new and red. Remember we are always our own worst critic (you probably see things about yourself that nobody else does because they are too preoccupied with their own perceived "flaws"), the enemy of good is better (meaning if you try to make something better that is already ok, you may end up worse), and finally remember that at some point we really probably will find something that does treat stretch marks that gives great results without the trade off of scars. Hope this helps. Sorry there isn't anything great out there for stretch marks yet.  Sincerely, Dean Vistnes, M.D. 

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Stretch Marks On Upper Arm

+1

A photo of the area you are describing would be very helpful.  Some things to consider with the upper arm is the location of the stretch marks and the looseness of the skin.   Lasers can help with diminishing the appearance of stretch marks but cannot remove them.  Lasers can also cause some tightening of the skin, but this tightening is usually minimal.  If significant loose skin is present, then surgery (a brachioplasty) will give the most dramatic change and improvement in the shape of the arm.  If stretch marks are within the removed skin, then those stretch marks are removed too.  Surgery, however, will leave a noticeable scar on the inside of the upper arm.  What is most important are your goals and expectations.  Please consult with a plastic surgeon to discuss your needs.  Thanks for the question.   

Steven Svehlak, MD