I Think One of my Stitches Have Come out. I Only Had Labia Reduction 5 Days Ago?

Labiaplasty stitch technique

+2

The labia minora heal quickly and a stitch separation at five days will likely not be a problem.  Your surgeon should examine you in person to give you the most accurate advice.

+2

Usually there are many stitches placed and the loss of one is usually inconsequential.  If the edges are still together, this should heal without incident.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Sutures and labiaplasty

+2

Labiaplasty is a meticulous procedure.  In my practice, I use several layers of sutures to prevent dehiscence of the wound.  In any case, one popped stitch is unlikely to cause significant problems. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Stitch coming out 5 days after Labiaplasty

+2

As long as the edges of skin are still approximated and not apart, it is inconsequential. The labia tissue actually heals very fast and chances are there are more stitches remaining still holding everything together.  Nonetheless, it is always best to visit your operating surgeon so that s/he can take a actual look to confirm it is fine.  Glad to help... @drryanstanton

Ryan Stanton, MD

Stitches coming out early after surgery

+2

can occur.  As long as your skin edges are closely approximated, healing is anticipated to take care of it with good wound care and adhering to his/her guidelines.  If its caused some poor scar or residual excesses, you should be able to discuss this with your surgeon when you go in for your follow-up and final evaluation and he/she should have an answer for you as to what can be done.  Knowing their revision policy is very important here so you know ahead of time, what kinds of costs you may be looking at.

Curtis Wong, MD

Losing a suture after labiaplasty surgery.

+2

Make sure that you are following all of your post operative instructions after labiaplasty.  You should discuss this with your PS's office just to make sure that you don't have an incision that opened.  One stich isn't bad but you do want to make sure that you are healing properly.

Labiaplasty Stitches

+1

First, call your plastic surgeon and make them aware of your concerns.  Sutures may dissolve as quickly as 5 days and this may be normal healing.  As long as your incision is healing properly, 5 days may be long enough for the sutures to be in place.

Richard P. Glunk, MD, FACS

Richard P. Glunk, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty stitches

+1

Sometimes a blood clot along the stitch line or too much activity can result in a stitch loosening.  Sometimes it seems to happen for no reason at all.  If the area is sore and uncomfortable, keep an ointment or cream on it to keep it from sticking to your pad or bandages.  Usually the area will heal, but a little slower.  Call your surgeon if your problems worsen or if you have the amount of bleeding that is similar to menstrual bleeding at the beginning of your period.

Overall I don't think you are in any serious trouble.

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon