My Son is 17 Hit is Forehead on a Set of Bleachers when He Was 9 Wants This Bump Gone?

My son has a bump on his forehead that formed after he hit his head on a set of bleachers when he was 9 . He had a x-ray of it and nothing was found as far as fracture. He hates the bump and wants it gone.He is truly bother by this, is there anything that can be done to have it removed?

+2

Yes. This can be removed. It is unlikely that any injectable treatment will resolve the bump. The bump might either represent scar tissue if there was a laceration or, alternatively, this could be a post-traumatic osteoma which is mass of bone at the site of injury. Removal of a soft tissue mass would require removal of a small amount of overlying skin. If the bump is an osteoma (a Facial Plastic Surgeon will be able to tell with an in-office exam) it can likely be removed with a small incision hidden behind the hairline. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bump

+1

This bump can be many different things. You need to see a plastic surgeon for a physical exam and some possible radiologic exams

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Forehead bump

+1

If the bump is soft and mobile then it is probably something that could easily be removed under local anesthesia in an office setting.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Forehead bump

+1

6 years post trauma and still has a bump could be many things, soft tissue, scar, or bone.

a CT scan can give you a differential diagnosis and then a plan for treatment can be discussed.

Forehead bump

+1

Most likely, the only way to remove the bump on your son's forehead is to surgically excise it.  In most cases, this would be just a minor surgical procedure.  The bump is probably a bit of scar tissue that developed after the injury.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon