Will my Smile Return to Normal? and if So About How Long Will It Take?

I had a closed rhinoplasty, where they shaved off my dorsal hump, corrected my deviated sep, refined the tip and also the base. The surgery was about 2 months ago. and i believe the muscles connecting my nose and my upper lips were detached? That's what i was told. Anyway, its almost two months and although my smile has gotten better I still don't smile normally. My upper lip specially hangs down a lot more than it used to. are there any solutions to this if it is permanent?

Don't be afraid to speak frankly with your surgeon...

+1

Muscle detachment is often performed to reduce the downward pull on the tip when speaking or smiling.  My best advice for you is: anytime a patient has concerns regarding the outcome of their surgery, they need to discuss it frankly with their surgeon.

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Abnormal Smile 2 Months Post Rhinoplasty

+1

It is unlikely that "separating the muscle" has caused a change in your smile. This problem is probably secondary to normal temporary in your upper lip. It is unusual for this to last so long, but be patient.

Hanging upper lip is very rare after rhinoplasty.

+1

Hi.

Remain optimistic for another four months.  Things may continue to improve.  If not happy then, get several opinions, because this is unusual.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)