My Smile is Crooked, How Can I Get It Fixed? (photo)

I have had braces, and I am happy with my teeth, but my smile is "stronger" on one side of my face. (It has always been like this) You can see my gums on the left side but not the right. I am very self-conscious and I really, really hate it. How can I get it fixed? What would the procedure be?

How Can I Fix My Crooked Smile?

+1

Unfortunately, your asymmetrical smile is not the result of your orthodontics or teeth at all.  It is the result of having asymmetrical facial muscles.  A famous TV anchor woman, Greta Van Sustern, has the same problem. 

You would be best served by consulting with a plastic surgeon.  Two treatments might be considered.  One is to use botox to keep the muscles on the good side from pulling your lip up so much.  The other is to see if the plastic surgeon can reposition the "smile muscles" to different sites so that your right side raises up more.  There is little downside risk to trying the botox procedure, because botox is temporary and always wears off and  repeated injections necessary.  However, the downside risk of trying to reposition any of the facial muscles is that things could even look worse.  Thus, please consult well with several plastic surgeons and do not expect a perfect result.

Laguna Niguel Cosmetic Dentist

Correcting a crooked smile

+1

Your teeth from the photo look very nice.  They appear straight just like you say and the midline appears to be correct.  If this is your accurate smile it appears that the muscles on the left side of your face have a greater"pull" effect than the right side.  There are a few muscles along the side of the nose that attach in the upper lip that perform this pull. Most likely they are the levator labii superioris, zygomaticus and levator labii superioris alaque nasi.  The easiest way to even out your smile is with Botox or Dysport injections to relax these muscles.  It is non invasive and lasts for about 3 months, so if you do not like the results it will return to normal.  MAke sure you seek the advice and treatment from a Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon who performs facial cosmetic procedures.  They only specialize in facial anatomy, not full body cosmetics. I have performed this on several patients with very good results 

Brian Dorfman, MD, DMD
Phoenix Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

How to fix a crooked smile

+1

From your photo, it appears that your upper lip is not lifting symmetrically. The problem does not appear to be your teeth or your gums. Perhaps working with a speech therapist could help your musculature.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist