Will my Skin Be Able to Tan After Fraxel?

My face and chest won't tan after fraxel treatment. They won't even hold color from self-tanners well. They are different colors from the rest of my body.

Tanning After Fraxel?

Thank you for your question. The skin undergoes a change, but should resolve after 1-2 years and be like the rest of your skin provided you had a treatment which was therapeutic and not too invasive.  See a Board Certified Dermatologist or Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a skin evaluation. I hope this helps!

Fraxel, fractional laser

Fraxel or other fractional lasers should not result in hypopigmentation. They work by a process similar to coring a lawn. No continuous hypopigmentation should result.

Barry Lycka, MD
Edmonton Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel Treatment Should Not Affect the Ability of the Skin to Tan

Hi H,

True Fraxel (TM) laser should not result in hypopigmentation.  Is it possible that you were treated with another company's fractionated laser (all fractionated lasers are not the same)?

Please let the community know what the actual brand of laser you were treated with.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon