Does my Skin Need to Be Removed During A Rhinoplasty? I Feel Like I Have Too Much Skin.

I am scheduled to get rhinoplasty next month. My doctor said he is only going to remove cartilage. I am kind of nervous because I feel like I have too much skin. Please tell me how I will get a good result?

Rhinoplasty and Skin Excision?

+2

Generally, skin is not removed during a standard rhinoplasty procedure.

Since you obviously have concerns I would suggest another consultation with your plastic surgeon prior to surgery. He/she will be able to answer your questions precisely;  hopefully you will feel reassured prior to your surgery.

Very rarely, excess skin can be removed by rhinoplasty.

+1

Rhinoplasty is an aesthetic operation that reshapes the nose.  In the very rare patient, making the nose smaller might require removal of skin.  This would require an external scar as a trade-off.

+1

The skin shrinks around the smaller, more refined, nasal skeleton after a Rhinoplasty.  This can take 6 months or longer and the most important aspect of selecting your Rhinoplasty Surgeon is to be certain that they understand and follow the proper aesthetics of facial beauty and the nose.

Skin Removal During Rhinoplasty

+1

Other than the removal of skin during alar base narrowing, skin is rarely removed as part of rhinoplasty surgery. Anytime an incision is made, there will always be a scar. It is important that these incisions are made in an area that is hidden or the scar is camouflaged. My patients would not accept the risk of an obvious, unfavorable, visible scar on their nose after an elective cosmetic procedure.

Skin removal and rhinoplasty

+1
There is no one way to perform rhinoplasty, each procedure individually designed to achieve patient goals as nearly as possible. There are indeed techniques for skin removal during rhinoplasty, described by Dr. Jack Sheen and others. If your skin envelope is excessive relative to the underlying nasal skeleton, this situation detracts from the result.

Steve Laverson, MD

Skin removal with rhinoplasty

+1

Skin excision is generally not indicated in conjunction with rhinoplasty.  Once the underlying cartilage and bony structure has been appropriately reshaped, the skin will conform to that new shape over the ensuing months following surgery.

Scott K. Thompson, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is Skin Routinely Removed During Rhinoplasty?

+1

Skin is not routinely removed during a rhinoplasty. If the alar bases are too wide, a wedge of skin and tissue are removed to narrow the width of the base of the nose. Skin is not usually taken from the tip or the bridge of the nose.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Removing skin during rhinoplasty

+1

Skin is not normally removed during rhinoplasty, unless you are talking about removing a small wedge from the alar bases to narrow the base of the nose. Even when reducing a large hump or reshaping and reducing the underlying cartilage, the skin is left intact and allowed to heal over the new structure. The skin will conform to the underlying structure, with certain limitations in patients with thick skin or excessive scar formation. It would be a good idea to review your goals with your surgeon, but to answer your question it would be more unusual if your surgeon was going to remove skin.

Anita Patel, MD

Skin excision of nose?

+1

During rhinoplasty, the architecture of bone and cartilage is contoured to improve the shape. Skin is only remvoed at the alar base if the base needs to be treated. Tip skin or dorsal skin is not removed.

Skin Removal During Rhinoplasty

+1

It would be rare to need to remove skin during a rhinoplasty. After cartilage is removed, the skin will shrink a bit to fit over the new cartilage shape.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS