Will my Skin Ever Heal After a TCA Peel?

I am in my 60s, 7 months ago I had a TCA peel at the same time as having a face lift. My skin continues to be red, raw and irritated on my cheeks (where the doctor admitted he treated it agressively). Sun screen, moisturizer, and makeup irritate the skin more, so I can't wear them at all. My extremely thin and fragile skin tries to heal but only produces white keratin "stuff" (not skin) that gets mushy when wet & crusty when dry. Will my skin ever heal back to normal skin?

Red after TCA

+1

This can happen.the person with fair skin can stay red for months so avoid the sun and be patient.It should do fine.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Agree with Dr. Morgan.

+1

The beauty of the TCA peels under 35% is how fast they heal.  Generally the skin is ready for make up in about 8 days.  I recommend that you seek the help of a board certified dermatologist in your community.  Try to find someone who is more interested in helping you that selling you additional services.

Healing after a peel

+1

Second opinion time.

•  30% TCA peels with a face lift should be healed within 2 weeks.
  • Skin may be more fragile and not tolerate skin products for about 2 months.
  • If you are not healed by seven months, you should see a Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon to figure out what is going on.
  • Rarely allergies and chronic infections keep peeled skin from healing.

I am sorry about this problem. Best of luck! 

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.