Sister Had Breast Augmentation on May 24th; Having Discharge. Causes? (photo)

Since 28th May she is having small discharge like 2 drops per day from one side. She was given IV antibiotics for this for 4 days. She developed slight fever and vomiting today. doctor says that it is not like a deep infection my be superficial or suture reaction. She had one vomiting also today. She doesn't have much pain in the breast only on pressing slight discomfort near suture line. Please advise.

Discharge After Breast Augmentation

+1

Dear Nitin,

Thank you for posting your sister's photos.

The discharge looks like a result of an incision infection that could be superficial; breast infections after an augmentation surgery is not a common.

The key is that your sister follow her surgeon's instructions to fight her infection and to keep an eye on the healing progress.

If her situation is to worsen then she needs to contact her surgeon for a more aggressive treatment because once the infection gets to become deeper then removing the implant will be necessary.

The best of luck to her and thank you for your inquiry.

Dr. Sajjadian

Infection and breast augmentation

+1

Infection after breast augmentation is not common. She can have a superficial one along the suture line or a deep one which more than likely would require the implant to be removed. She should follow closely with her surgeon.

Keep an eye on that.

+1

Discharge from an incision line after breast augmentation is something that your sister and her surgeon should keep a close eye on.  While it could be simply a "suture reaction", it may indicate that the implant is becoming infected (although I hope that is not the case).

I wish your sister well, and encourage her to closely follow up with her surgeon.

Hope this helps,

Dr Hall.

Jason J. Hall, MD, FACS

Discharge from Incision after Breast Augmentation?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Although it is not uncommon to have some discharge from incision lines after surgery, it is important that your sister follow-up with  her plastic surgeon closely/frequently. Discharge from the incision line may be related to a “suture reaction” or a more serious problem. Her plastic surgeon will be in the best position to diagnose/treat minor or more serious complications.