I Think my Silastic Chin Implant Shifted Slightly when I Bumped It at About 4 Weeks Post-op, but Dr Maintains It Didn't Move?

I am 6 weeks post-op now, and at 4 weeks post-op I bumped the right side of my chin against my girlfriend's shoulder... hard and direct enough to cause some pain as it happened and feel pressure along the left side. My questions: My Dr placed the wings of a silastic chin implant under the periosteum, but he placed the middle of the implant (the button area) ON TOP of the periosteum. Is that a common and proper way to place it? Is it possible that could have moved it? Thank you

+1

If your doctor examined you and could feel the borders of the implant to confirm placement, I would trust that it has not moved.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Chin Implant Migration

+1

Chin implant shifting is unusual and depends on the material used and methods used to secure it in place.  Silastic implants are sometimes coated on porous materials which help prevent migration.  The method your doctor used is common and allows securing the implant with a stitch to the periosteum in the midline.  I would wait until your surgeon determines that all post-operative swelling has resolved before reaching any conclusions about the implant shifting as a result of hitting your chin.

Michael Lipan, MD
Palm Beach Gardens Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant Displacement??

+1

Unless the chin implant was secured in place by a screw, shifting of the implant is certainly possible. But it is going to take some time to let all the swelling go down and the tissues adapt around the implant before you will really know. Time will answer the question based on whether any implant asymmetry eventually appears. The most technique for chin implant placement is a completely subperiosteal location throughout the entire length of the implant.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Possible shifting of chin implant

+1

At four weeks after placement of a chin implant, it would take a significant amount of force to cause the implant to move.  If your surgeon feels that the implant didn't move, then I would believe that.  The placement of your implant was done in a common method, where the ends are placed under the periosteum and the middle placed on top of the periosteum.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon