Will my Shallow Acne Scars Improve?

I have a few extremely shallow acne scars on my forehead, and one under my lip. They are about 1-4 months old, and one of them (the oldest) is almost even with the skin and has improved a LOT. Will I continue to see this improvement/ will they become completely better at some point? I have been using retinol cream.

Hello

+1

In our practice and I’m sure every practice has their own way of treating acne scars. We have laser treatments and or a mini facelift to stretch out the skin. We have Profractional laser treatment and micro laser peels. Those procedures will improve your acne scars dramatically. If you want the least invasive and no down time with mild correction a Vipeel can help with that as well.

Shallow scars 1-4 months old are still healing

+1

Your scars will continue to get better for about to 2 years. Sometimes they keep getting better after that as well. co2 resurfacing can help in the early stages for the best results. Some surgeons feel that the 6-8 week mark is good to help with scarring and to take advantage of more embryonic healing. I have noticed scars improve a great deal in the early stages with resurfacing.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Shallow Acne Scars May Benefit From LaViv

+1

Shallow acne scars may benefit from a new cellular skin therapy called LaViv. Three specimens of skin are taken from behind your ear, expanded by tissue culture in the lab, and then injected into surface contours of the skin. It is currently approved by the FDA for the lines in the nasolabial area, and acne scarring may also be considered in the future.

Edward Szachowicz, MD, PhD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treatment for Acne Scars

+1

Retinoid products help increase the rate of skin turnover. This may be why you are seeing great results. If your retinol cream is working for you, then keep using it. 

If you find that you've reached a point where you are not seeing further changes, you might want to look into laser treatments. Based on your description, your acne scars seem to be on the mild side. The Spectra laser may be an ideal choice for you.

Many patients have also seen great results with Fraxel Dual. The way lasers work for the skin is by heating the dermis, which is beneath the surface. This heating will cause your skin to produce new collagen fibers. Acne scars are also made of collagen, but the fibers are arranged in a disorderly configuration. The new collagen helps fade out the collagen of the scar tissue.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Shallow Acne Scars

+1

It's never easy to predict how acne scars will behave; however, it sounds like yours are improving nicely and should continue to do so.  If you can tolerate a Retin-A preparation instead of Retinol, it may help even more.  Stay out of the sun as well as this can cause scars to become hyper-pigmented.

Sheri G. Feldman, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist