Is my septum deviated? If so, would you recommend corrective surgery? (photos)

I'm wondering if my septum is deviated. As someone who has experienced sleep apnea, I've begun to consider the possibility that my septum is deviated. I also have a more difficult time breathing out of my right nostril -- it feels as though I'm straining my lungs in order to fully inhale. Additionally, both my septum and nose itself appear to be visibly off-centre. If deviated, I am interested in corrective surgery for the septum and, perhaps, to straighten my nose. I'd appreciate any advice!

Possible Deviated Septum

+1
Based on the photos, it is evident that your septum, columella, alar, and tip, are deviated. Your nasal tip is also relatively big.

To address your nose concerns both aesthetically and functionally, septorhinoplasty is most likely the solution, though other causes of nasal blockage must also be sought out during personal consultation.

Thailand Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is my septum deviated? If so, would you recommend corrective surgery?

+1
       If the septum is causing breathing problems, you can have corrective surgery.  The rhinoplasty can straighten the nose as well.

Deviated septum options

+1
Based on your photos it does look like the caudal edge of your septum (portion closest to your nostrils) is crooked to your right side. Your external nose also appears deviated as well. Surgery can be done to work on making your septum and/or nose straighter. A more complete examination in person would allow for a better overall assessment of your situation and treatment options, though.

In the meantime you can read more about septoplasty at my web reference link below.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

The diagnosis of a deviated septum

+1
While the photographs do show a deviated columella and nasal bones, to make the diagnosis of a deviated septum requires an in person consultation/ examination of the back of the nose to determine whether or not the septum is deviated fractured. There are other issues that can cause breathing obstruction of the nose such as turbinate hypertrophy, valve collapse, and allergies but each of these are treated differently. For more information, diagrams and are before after photo gallery please see the link below

Septal deviation

+1
Yes, your septum is deviated to the right from the caudal view.  As for fixing it and your overall breathing afterwards it is difficult to predict.

Deviated Nasal Septum

+1
The pictures clearly show that your entire nose including the septum is deviated and asymmetrical. Only you can decide if surgery should be done but it will be impossible to correct the functional breathing problem without at least minor changes in your appearance. I encourage you to have a consultation to discuss your options.

Deviated septum?

+1
The pictures you show demonstrate some twisting of the columella, the tissue between the nostrils.  This could represent a clue to a deviated septum, though a physical exam would prove this.  A deviated septum is common and should be corrected if it causes nasal obstructive symptoms.  While nasal blockage does not cause sleep apnea, an open nasal passage is important for overalll good function of your upper airway...

Christopher Cote, MD
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon