Should my Scars from an Upper Eyelift Look Like Stretch Marks? Is This Permanent?

Six months ago I had upper eyelift. It looks as if I am going to have permenant scarring on the outter corners of both eyes, the marks look like large stretch marks. It looks as if he did not put enough stitches in. After my surgery my docter had not looked at my eyes until 3 months later, I even had appointments 4 times. I fear that these marks will not go away, what do you think?

Revision surgery may be needed.

+1

All incision will heal with some sort of scarring. The skin of the eyelid is quite thin and usually heals very well. In addition, many of the incisions can be well hidden. This is less possible in the inner and outer corners of the eyelid. If the scar has widened, it is possible to re-excise the scar and achieve a narrower scar.

Waiting at least 6 months was a good idea. Time for a second opinion with an experienced eyelid surgeon.

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid scarring

+1

At six months, your scars should be healing well and barely visible.  Sutures are usually removed 2-3 days postoperatively but I agree with other posters that you should have been seen in followup regularly during the initial postoperatie period.  If there is redundancy at the outer rims of the eyelids, you may need an additional resection.  I recommend that you see another board certified plastic or ocuplastic surgeon in consultation to review your options.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Eyelid scars heal very well after blepharoplasty

+1

Eyelid scars usually heal very well after blepharoplasty and within 2 or 3 months the scars are already beginning to fade and soften nicely.

The results that you have at 6 months are probably permanent.  I doubt the scars will change much after this time.

In my Salt Lake City, UT plastic surgery practice I see my blepharoplasty patients the day after surgery and 5-7 days after surgery and then at 2 weeks and at 4-6 weeks after surgery if everything is going well.  If things are not going well then patients may need to be seen more frequently.

Not being seen by your surgeon until 3 months is not the standard that my patients expect of my care.

Scar revisions can be performed on the eyelids under local anesthesia.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid incisions should heal quickly

+1
Eyelids incisions typically heal very quickly and should leave a fine line which is not typically visible except by a trained eye. In my office I put every stitch in and take every stitch out. To not see your surgery patient for four months post surgery is not in the standard of care that I set for my practice and surgery center. Postoperative eyelid patients need to be seen often after surgery as the stitches need to be loosened and taken out on specific days according to the patients healing. I remove all of the sutures by the fifth day. This helps not to form cysts around the sutures, or leave a track mark on the upper lid. As far as your blepharoplasty it sounds like you would benefit from a revision on the scars. I would go in and discuss your concerns with your surgeon and this should be a simple revision procedure done in skilled hands. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

6 months is more than enough time to evaluate end results of eyelid lifts.

+1

At 6 months you should pretty well see how your results will be. If the scars are wide (same as stretched?) anywhere this would be unusual and a scar revision would be in order. This should be quite simple to do with local anaesthesia and probably done at no charge by the original surgeon. A new surgeon would charge for the revision.

Harlow Hollis, MD
Victoria Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery

+1

Uusally eyelid incisions heal remarkably well. Of course they are never invisible.  It is rare for one to spread.  Perhaps you need a revision. Speak with your original surgeon or another doctor.

Upper Eyelid Incisions

+1

Although incisions can take up to a year to fully heal, at six months your incisions should be fading nicely.  I don't think that they should look like "stretch marks" at this point.  I recommend that you talk with your surgeon.  If he does not address your concerns to your satisfaction, I recommend that you see an oculoplastic surgeon (an eyelid specialist) who is a member of the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.  You can find one at asoprs.org.

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon