My Scars from a Labiaplasty from 7 Years Ago Are Now Very Painful. Is There Anything I Can Do Myself?

I had what I considered a successful labiaplasty by my ob/gyn about 7 years ago. Over the past year and a half my scars have become painful to the touch. Sometimes they are fine and sometimes they hurt and sting badly. I try to be more gentle with wiping myself after going to the bathroom because I thought that that was the problem. Now I'm not so sure. I am just perplexed by the fact that they have become so painful after all these years.

Painful scars

+1

Painful scars after trimming labiaplasties are not unusual but a seven year delay is unusual. I would try you on some strong cortisone cream. If that doesn't eliminate the pain, then I would probably do a revision of your labiaplasty.  I have published the only medical paper on revision surgery for labiaplasties, which was published in the prestigious journal "Plastic adn Reconstructive Surgery".  I would probably excise the painful scar and reconstruct your labia.  

Painful labiaplasty scars, 7 years post-op

+1

Although painful labiaplasty scars, suddenly 7 years after surgery, is very unusual, it is not the first time I have heard of delayed pain.  Depending upon your age and hormone status and age of the scar, it is possible for the scar to atrophy/thin and become more sensitive and even painful.  For these situations, I am currently treating patients with platelet rich plasma (which contains many growth factors) injection to stimulate rejuvenation of the scar and surrounding tissue.  Glad to help... 

Ryan Stanton, MD