Does My Scar Progress Properly? (photo)

Hi :) I had my operation on 28/08/2012, so it's been 5 months since; I'm concerned about my scar progress. So, just a few questions :) 1.There is a little part of the scar, at its center, which is raised. Is it hypertrophic? will it flatten eventually? I've been using Kelo-Cote for 5 months. 2. There are 2 wider parts, are they to narrow / contract? 3. One end of the scar is "bumpy", is it a "dog ear"? 

Abdominoplasty scar

+1

Hello. Tummy tuck scars take a long time to heal and for five months post op you look like you are right on track. I would try to give the healing process at least a year before you worry about anything. Continue any scar management your doctor had recommended and be sure to avoid sunlight to the area. Wrinkles in abdominoplasty incisions are not uncommon and usually smooth out with time.

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Augmentation Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Web reference: http://www.jaimeperezmd.com/photogallery/breast-augmentation-7001

Tummy Tuck Scar

+1

From the pictures you provided your scarring is optimal for 5 months post-op. It can take anywhere from 12-18 months for the scar to completly mature. Throughout this time, it is important that you provide sun protection and limit exposure as to prevent any hyperpigmentation.  

I hope this helps you and good luck

Fadi Chahin MD, FACS

Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

Diplomat, American Board of Surgery

Diplomat, American Board of Plastic Surgery

Tummy Tuck Healing

+1

Your scars look as expected 5 months postoperatively. Scars can take up to a year to fully mature and will continue to soften and lighten in color with time. Continue using the scar cream, be very diligent with sun protection as this can darken the scar and be patient. If you are still unhappy with your scar's progress after a year, you can discuss scar revision with your board certified plastic surgeon.  

Web reference: http://farberplasticsurgery.com

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Scars Tummy Tuck

+1

Your scars appear to be healing as aspected.  In my experience these scars can take close to 2 years to fully mature.  Continue with scar care and avoid sun exposure.  If you are not pleased by then, consider a scar revision.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Scar Healing at 5 Months

+1

Your scar is progressing very well for a 5 month post tummy tuck scar.  I recommend using silicone on the wound for a year and minimizing sun exposure.  Your incision should not be judged until then.  I doubt you will need a scar revision but if there are areas of concern at that point, ask your surgeon if they think they can improve it.  Good luck.

Does My Scar Progress Properly

+1

This scar looks perfectly normal at this (5 month) stage of healing. I would continue the scar preparation you are using, and show the areas in question to your surgeon at your next visit. I see nothing that demands a change in treatment at this time. Expect the scar to continue to mature and improve over the course of a year. All the best. 

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.