My Scar from a Gallbladder Surgery over 20 Yrs Ago is on my Right Side. Will It Interfere With a TT?

Scar is almost 3in long over the right side of my body, is there any reason for concern, in requards to a tummy tuck. What precautions will need to be taken because of the scar it is very long and thin. The scar starts mid way in my stomach an past my belly button going outwards. \ this is how it looks. Its not near my belly button at all more toward my side any advice on tummy tuck?

Upper abdominal scars and tt

+1

There are published studies that show increased risks when patients have pre-existing upper abdominal scars, like a gallbladder incision.  The cut in the skin, even though it's small and has healed now, reduces the blood flow in the abdominoplasty flap right below the scar, and wound healing complications are somewhat increased.

While a careful surgeon can reduce these risks...you are still at a slightly higher risk than someone who doesn't have that scar.

All the best.

Usually not

+1

The gall bladder scar is usually not a factor.  I have seen one case where the gall bladder

scar caused a decrease in the blood supply to the skin on the right side of the tummy tuck

incision.  This cause some slow healing of that side.  I have done hundreds of tummy tuck

and only seen that happen once.

E. Anthony Musarra II, MD

Scar and tummy tuck

+1

It needs to be taken into consideration in your preoperative planning.  It may limit the amount of skin loosening that can be done.  The operation can still be done, but may have to be modified.

David A. Lickstein, MD

Gallbladder scar

+1

I have done many tummy tucks on patients with large gallbladder scars.  The concern is that the scar will interfere with circulation to part of the skin when the flap is elevated.  Although  this is a possibilty, I have never had this problem. It is something you need to be aware of , but the risk is low overall. You should discuss this issue with your Plastic Surgeon and ask what his or her  experience is with this issue.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Gall bladder scar is a relative concern for tummy tuck.

+1

Thank you for your question.  It is important for your surgeon to note the location and condition of scars on your abdomen before a tummy tuck.

A 3-inch scar from gall bladder surgery can be factored into the plan for a tummy tuck.  Having one doesn't mean you can't have a tummy tuck, it just means that extra precaution should be taken to prevent potential problems after the surgery is done. 

A experienced plastic surgeon should be able to assess your scar and make the appropriate recommendations for what the best plan is for your tummy tuck.

I hope this helps. Best wishes and good luck.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Scar will not interfere with tummy tuck

+1

A scar from a cholecystectomy performed 20 years ago will not interfere with an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck). Find a plastic surgeon in your area who is experienced with abdominoplasty.

Donna Rich, MD

Open gallbladder incision

+1

Thank you for an excellent question.  I do believe your incision needs to be factored into the thought processes of your plastic surgeon.  Wit the scar being relatively short (3 inches you state) and being 20 years old, I think your surgeon can be more aggressive with his/her undermining. 

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Tummy tuck after conventional gallbladder scar

+1

The old gallbladder incisions deprive areas of the stomach of a normal blood supply.

This should be factored in when a tummy tuck is designed.

Often the surgery is designed more conservatively, and the patient is warned that there could be wound complications or delayed healing.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Gall Bladder Scars and Tummy Tuck

+1

Good question and not a rare problem, although it is becoming less an issue with so many gall bladder removals being done with the laparascope through small incisions. Conventional wisdom is that there is increased risk to skin healing properly if a full tummy tuck is done. I have always done a full tummy tuck on patients with your scar as long as it was at least 10 yearsold and this includes undermining above the scar and up over the ribs and I have never had a problem with skin healing. I have been doing that for 3 decades so quite a few patients.  I do restrict this procedure to nonsmokers.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Abdominoplasty and gallbladder (Kocher) scar

+1

The gallbladder scar has interrupted an important blood supply to your abdominal skin, so a tummy tuck should include precautions to avoid further decreasing the blood supply.  This would mean not undermining the affected skin, or replacing it with adjacent skin by way of a transposition skin flap.

Michael Kreidstein, MD