Can my Scar Be Lowered? (photo)

I am 12 days post TT with lipo and I am very upset at how high my scar is. Will this move down any? Can it be moved? Also I have a large bulge above my naval that doesn't feel like the rest of the swollen areas? Wondering if I should give it some time or go see the doc?

I'm not sure why my colleagues aren't appalled by this scar placement!

+2

While there COULD be "more than meets the eye" in the photo of this scar placement, in 26 years of doing tummy tucks I have never placed a scar this high, nor would I consider this a "usual and customary" result from a properly-trained "real" plastic surgeon unless there was some extenuating circumstance that you have not mentioned!

I am concerned that you did not have your surgery performed by an ABPS-certified plastic surgeon, as all of the respondents here are fully-trained and certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, and I doubt that any of us has ever created a scar this high unless one was already there.

Your upper abdominal bulge sounds like a seroma. This should be aspirated or a pseudobursa could result. See your surgeon, or if verification of credentials proves that you made a pooly-informed choice of a non-plastic surgeon, get a second opinion from an ABPS-certified plastic surgeon in your area.

Good luck and best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Terrible Scar Placement For Tummy Tuck

+1

I agree strongly with the other surgeons who are appalled with this scar placement.  This is terrible work and the surgeon should be ashamed of him/herself.  They clearly do understand the different procedures that can be performed. Unfortunately, the scar will not drop nor can it be lowered.  I'm so sorry for your result. 

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

High scar placement

+1

Your scar seems significantly higher than a standard abdominoplasty: I've never encountered a routine  TT scar placed so high. I dont think it is likely to move lower and, unfortunately, it is difficult to see how it could be lowered much. The bulge above your navel might just be swelling/fluid or it may be that the the area above the navel hasn't been tightened as much as the area below. I would certainly see your surgeon sooner.

Best wishes

Adrian Knox, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Lowering TT Scar

+1

I'm sorry you are not satisfied with your TT results.  Your scar placement does look high, as our goal is to make it as low as possible but the scar placement should've been discussed at your consultation and again at your pre-op visit.  You and your surgeon can re-evaluate after 6-12 months and if you have enough skin laxity, you may be able to do a revisionary TT to lower the scar. For now, concentrate on healing.  ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Lowering a scar after abdominoplasty is possible but very involved.

+1

Lowering the scar after in abdominoplasty essentially requires redoing the operation. Obviously, it's best not to place the incision to high in the beginning.

Can my Scar Be Lowered?

+1

Sorry to tell you NO. Was your surgeon a boarded PS in the USA? Very unusual incision placement. Was there other issues? 

Tummy Tuck Scar too High

+1

I am very sorry to hear that you not happy with your result!  I think the first option is to wait to see how the scar heals.  There is a chance that the scar heals so well that it does not bother you.  Though I think the chance is small, it is worth waiting.

If you do need it lowered, you can have it lowered, however you would need to wait 6 - 12 months for the skin to loosen up.  Once that happens, you do not need to have a full tummy-tuck, just a scar revision.

Bivik Rajnikant Shah, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Can my Scar Be Lowered?

+1

I can understand your displeasure with the height of this scar. This is a matter that is usually discussed with the patient at consultation and preop visit, and then reviewed and  marked with you awake on the day of surgery. You would have to ask your surgeon why this incision was made so high.

Unfortunately, there is not enough skin laxity to make much of a difference in the position of the scar now. In a year, with a repeat TT you may get some improvement, but chance it will always be too high.  All the best. 

Scar can be lowered, but not very much

+1

The current position of your scar is higher than one would expect.  Lowering an existing tummy tuck scar can sometimes be done, depending on how much skin excess and laxity remain after all the healing has occurred.  It is too early to tell and difficult to give specific advice without examining you.  Discuss your concerns with your surgeon and be prepared to wait for 6 to 12 months before considering any revision.  Best of luck.

Michael S. Hopkins, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Lowering an existing scar

+1

Yes, this scar can be lowered considerably.

It never hurts to seek a few opinions on the best course.

Even with my patients, if they have any doubt about how the surgery was done, I heartily endorse their seeking other opinions.

Brent Moelleken, MD