Can I have my saline implants deflated at 16 weeks pregnant? They are causing me back pain.

I had breast augmentation about 4 years ago and I went with a 750 cc saline implant. I am now pregnant and experiencing back pain and I am up to a 36h bra and I am 16 weeks pregnant. I've been reading about puncturing the saline implants and then going in after my pregnancy is over for a re do. Is this safe? I'm in pain on my back every day. Thank you!

Deflating saline implants

+1

You can certainly have your implants safely deflated even tough you are pregnant. It just involves popping each side with a hypodermic needle.  It does commit you to some further breast surgery at some time, either removal or replacement, but that can wait until after you have delivered.  Just make sure it is okay with your obstetrician.

Choosing to Deflate Saline Implants

+1

It is perfectly safe to choose to deflate saline implants.  I occasionally do this when a woman wants that change, so that they can see what their breast size might be without an implant.  The decision is not reversible without a surgery , so it should be considered carefully. You may choose it, if that is a good decision in your circumstances.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Implant deflation

+1
Yes breast implants can be deflated during pregnancy.  You must keep in mind the future surgery will be required to remove or exchange your implants.. Congrats on your pregnancy.

Arthur Cambeiro, MD

Can I have my saline implants deflated at 16 weeks pregnant?

+1

Yes, your breast implants can be safely deflated. Given your description of symptoms, this may be a good option for you. As you mentioned, additional surgery will be necessary down the line. Best to have this “redo” done when you reached a long-term stable weight and have completed breast-feeding etc. It is possible, depending on the changes that occur with pregnancy and your goals, that additional surgery such as breast re-augmentation/lifting will be indicated.

Best wishes with the remainder of your pregnancy.

Deflating implant to remove saline

+1
Congratulations on your pregnancy! I do understand your desire to alleviate the discomfort that you are experiencing and I think that deflating your implants is a very good option for you. I deflate saline implants often, just as you have read, for varying reasons (pregnancy being one of the most common reasons to do this). It is safe as the shell of your implant will be left in the breast tissue. You may experience some discomfort, however, if the saline implant does not deflate completely flat as the implant can fold and sometimes poke a patient from the inside. It is rare, but it can happen. I would go to a board certified plastic surgeon that is experienced with performing this type of procedure. I wish you all the best and congratulations again!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Deflation

+1
The procedure is safe and if you are in that much pain it maybe a reasonable choice for you. I would see a board certifed PS in your area and have him evaluate the situation. Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon