Could my Saline Implant Be Slowly Leaking? (photo)

I am 4 weeks post op with 475cc saline implants under the muscle, my left breast seems to feel more full and round compared to the right breast. Could it possible my right implant is leaking?

Implant leaking

+1

Doubt that it is leaking but you should have your surgeon check you out to be on the safe side.  When saline implants leak, they empty most of the way over a few days time.  It is common for implants to feel fir, initially and soften up as the overlying tissue stretches a little.  It is common for one to soften before the other.

Leaking Saline Implant

+1

Dear Ltren. It is highly doubtful that your implant is leaking. If a saline leak occurs, the deflation usually occurs rapidly and the saline is absorbed into your body. This situation will be very obvious to you. Your asymmetry is also normal at this stage in your post operative period. Expect the swelling to continue to go down over the next several weeks.

Dan Mills, MD

No evidence of saline leakage in the photograph.

+1

I doubt your implant is leaking but if it is it will leave no doubt in the next week or so. I don't give much to worry about.

Could my Saline Implant Be Slowly Leaking?

+1

Leaking saline implants almost always deflate almost completely over a short period of time (hours). 

It is quite common to have uneven breasts in the first three months after surgery due to different pace of muscle relaxation of the pectoral muscles. More often than not it is the implant on the "handed" side that seems slower to relax.

All the best. 

Leaking saline implant?

+1

You are early and the assymetry is normal at this stage. A leaking saline implant will deflate to zero very quickly. It will be very very obvious.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Implants don't appear to be leaking

+1

Thanks for your ? and pic. When saline implants develop a leak, they typically lose all of their volume. You are still early in the recovery and the asymmetry you have is normal. Because of the large size of implants, these small differences are more pronounced. Over the next few weeks it likely will be less noticeable. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Could the saline implant be leaking?

+1

Thanks for your question. Based on your pictures and description, it is very unlikely that your implant is leaking. Typically, when saline implants develop a leak, they will "deflate" virtually overnight-- there is nothing subtle about it. What you are describing is much more typical of the early post op changes that occur as your breasts start to relax and heal after your procedure. It appears as though you have an excellent early result--congratulations!

Matthew Concannon MD

Matthew Concannon, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Saline Implant Leak or Swelling on Opposite Side

+1

Usually a deflating saline implant will decrease dramatically in size before the 4 week postoperative mark, but a slow leak is possible.  Most likely, you have some persistent swelling on the left side that has not yet resolved.  It takes 3 months for most of the swelling to resolve and 3-6 months to get a good idea of the final results.  Be patient.  It is also possible that you have some fluid or blood around the larger implant.  I would encourage you to discuss your concerns with your operating surgeon.  He or she knows the specifics of your original procedure and therefore provides you the best resource when discussing the results of your surgery.

Philip E. Fleming, MD

Breast implant leaking?

+1

Saline implants will deflate if there is a leak. It is never a "slow" leak. Over a few days as the water resorbs the chest on the deflation side will shrink.  Give it a few months for the breasts to settle.

Leaking breast implant at 4 weeks

+1

Dear L,

Although it is possible for you to have a leaking implant 4 weeks after surgery, it is highly unlikely and more likely due to swelling or difference in your breast size to begin with.  Even a slowly leaking implant would be mostly deflated at this point in time after 4 weeks of leaking.  Good luck, you'll look great!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD