One of my Saline Breast Implants Has Ruptured. Can I Continue to Breastfeed?

One of my Saline Breast Implants Has Ruptured.  Can I Continue to Breastfeed?

Implant rupture and breast feeding

It is unlikely that your ruptured implant wil have any impact on your breast feeding, but you should make an effort to be evlauated by your surgeon to plan on having the implant removed/exchanged.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Breast Implants

Yes, you can continue to breast feed.  A leaking saline implant is not an emergency, although it is a pain.  Contact your surgeon's office a couple months after you are done breast feeding for a check up.  I have had some patients because of extenuating circumstances go years before replacing a ruptured saline implant.  So in the future you would want to put in a new saline implant, or change out for a gel implant which does not go down in volume if ruptured.  Talk to your surgeon about your choices.  All the best, "Dr. Joe" Gryskiewicz

Joe Gryskiewicz, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

7373 France Ave South
Minneapolis, MN 55435

Safe to breast feed with a ruptured saline implant

The ruptured implant will not interfere with breast feeding.  The saline is sterile and is absorbed by your body.  It is like getting salt water through an IV.

Call you doctor and let them know.  You will want to wait untill after you have completed breast feeding for a few months to have the implant replaced.  After breast feeding, other procedures could be needed, such as a breast lift.

Good luck.

Michael S. Hopkins, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

2207 San Pedro Drive Northeast
Albuquerque, NM 87110

Breast feed after Breast implants rupture.

You can certainly continue to breast-feed despite the ruptured breast implant. I would suggest that you visit with your plastic surgeon approximately 3 months after you have stopped breast-feeding  for consultation regarding removal/replacement/additional surgery if necessary.

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

Yes, it is safe for you to continue breastfeeding. However, about 6 months after you've stopped breastfeeding, you should ask your surgeon about removal and replacement. Best of luck.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

362 Fairlawn Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5M 1T6

Saline Implant Rupture and Breast Feeding

Their is no problem breast feeding with a ruptured saline implant to you or your baby. The saline is absorbed as it is just salt water. Speak with your Plastic Surgeon re: best timing for removal when you are all finished with breast feeding

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

3991 MacArthur Boulevard
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Breast feeding with ruptured implant

Yes it is safe to breast feed with a ruptured saline implant. Safe for you and the baby. The saline is simply absorbed into your body. After you finish breast feeding you can deal with replacement. Congrats on the new baby.

Ronald Schuster, MD

10807 Falls Rd.
Baltimore, MD 21093

Breast Feeding after Saline Breast Implant Rupture

You should notify your plastic surgeon but based on the information you provided, breast feeding should be OK.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

2333 W Irving Park Rd
Chicago, IL 60618

Ruptured Saline Implant Will Not Interfere With Breastfeeding

You can continue to safely breastfeed with a ruptured saline implant.  The saline is not toxic to your baby and will be resorbed in large part by your body.  You can have the implant replaced after you cease the breastfeeding.

John Whitt, MD (retired)

4001 Kresge Way
Louisville, KY 40207