If my Saline Breast Implant is Overfilled, Will the Manufacturer's Warranty Be Voided?

At my post-op appt yesterday, I learned the fill volumes of my Mentor smooth round mod plus saline implants: Left - 375 filled to 450cc & Right - 375 filled to 475cc. The right side volume exceeds the manufacturer's recommended max fill value by 25cc, so I'm concerned that the manufacturer's warranty might be voided. Should I address this with my doctor? I'm satisfied with my overall look and size, so I don't want to cause a confrontation. What are my options at this point?

The Fill Of A Breast Implant Has No Bearing On The Warranty.

+2

To the best of my knowledge, how much a saline breast implant is filled to has no bearing on the manufacturer's warranty. In replacing numerous saline breast implants that have deflated over the years, some which were overfilled, that was never an issue that was contested or even asked in getting implant replacements. I think for the sake of a 25cc overfill, which is common,you should have no concerns.  

Web reference: http://www.eppleyplasticsurgery.com

Questions about the implant warranty

+2

This is a good question.  To my knowledge overfilling of the implant will not void the manufacturers warranty.  In your particular case the addition of 75 cc to 100 cc  additional volume is a relatively common practice.  One of the problems with overfilling the implants to a greater degree than recommended by the manufacturer makes the base diameter smaller and essentially makes the implant rounder.  If you are satisfied with your result then that is the final answer, we work to serve our patients and there is not better satisfaction than a happy smiling patient.  

Saline Overfills and Warantees

+2

10% or so is not unreasonable overfill for saline implants.  I have seen a patient from out of town who had overfilled implants and a deflation of one side.  I sent back the implant after removal ,as required by the company for warranty free replacement and $ towards the surgery, and they covered it.  They did send an accompanying form letter that lists overfill and underfill as possible culprits, but did cover the warranty.  Best to ask the company yourself..they all have patient hotlines.  Hope this helps.

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Warranty is NOT voided by saline implant overfilling!

+2

Please rest easy; overfilling is not only allowed, but recommended to minimize ripples and implant shell fold-flaws that develop over time, causing leakage and deflation (in saline implants). That is why the manufacturers of saline implants actually have recommended maximum fill volumes (above) the "size" of the implants.

For a Mentor 300cc (moderate profile) implant, maximum recommended fill is 325cc, just under 9% "overfill." For a Mentor 300cc (moderate plus) implant maximum recommended fill is 360cc, 20% "overfill." For your 375cc (moderate plus) saline implants, the recommended maximum is indeed 450cc, but that additional 25cc to 475cc total volume adds less than 2 tablespoons more than the "recommended maximum." Certainly not a major "out of range" choice.

For an Allergan Natrelle 300cc (low profile) implant, maximum recommended fill is 320cc, just under 7% "overfill," whereas the 300cc moderate profile can be filled to a recommended maximum of 330cc (10% "overfill"). So you can see, that proper "overfill" (either manufacturer) is not really overfill at all--and should be in the range of 5-20% implant volume. When I use saline implants (rarely, nowadays), I make the final volume choice dependent on each individual patient's tissue characteristics, muscle and skin tone, and symmetry.

You are right about your moderate plus Mentor 375cc saline implant being overfilled 25cc more than manufacturer's recommended maximum fill, but this is a small amount, and perhaps your surgeon did not have a 400cc implant that would have allowed 475cc within manufacturer's guidelines (we stock all implant sizes and profiles in our office surgical facility to avoid such problems), or s/he simply decided at the time of surgery that overfilling by an additional 1 2/3 tablespoons would be best for you.

This is still well within the tolerances that saline implants can withstand without increasing scalloping or leakage/deflation risks, and if your implant ever leaks it won't be because of this over-overfill, and it's warranty is not going to be voided at all. Neither manufacturer "checks" your surgeon's operative report or implant fill volume before replacing an implant under their replacement policy; they are really good about customer care (and surgeon support).

You and your surgeon chose saline implants in the first place--I would probably have recommended cohesive silicone gel implants (that will never leak or deflate, and do not have the rippling issues as often as saline implants), but that is another discussion! Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Web reference: http://www.mpsmn.com/breast-procedures/breast-augmentation

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Overfill of breast implants?

+2

My experience using Mentor breast implants for the past 11 years, is that they have honored every instance of rupture via their warranty. Studies support that overfill generally does not increase the risks of a leak. Underfilling implants is the problem.I'm sure your PS would be more than happy to discuss this with you again and then you can decide if overfilling is still a good option for you. Best wishes - Dr. Aldo

Saline Fill Volume Above Recommended Max - Manufacturer's Warranty?

+1

I usually fill to the recommended max, but many other plastic surgeons I have worked with have overfilled.  There have not been any cases of manufacturer warranty issues of which I am aware.

Saline #BreastImplant is Overfilled, Will the Manufacturer's Warranty Be Voided? ANS:

+1

Not at all! It is very common to fill an implant beyond it's range and it does not void the warranty. The manufacturers do not want you underfilling an implant as this does create more stress folding with possible shell fracture....

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Overfilling

+1

I've never really understood why many doctors overfill the implants. If you are going for a narrower or more projected look just get a higher profile implant. Overfilling does not help with rippling as some people believe. But I have never heard of a warranty being voided for this reason so you shouldn't worry.

Web reference: http://www.beverlyhillsplasticsurgery.com

Implants and fill

+1

Implant recommended volume is the recommended volume that the manufacturer sets to fill them.  Sometimes surgeons over fill to balance volume discrepancies.

Saline Breast implant Warranty

+1

Your Implants should still be covered for a deflated implant. Many doctors fill beyond the recommended fill volume.

Web reference: http://www.chicagobreast.com