My Saline Breast Implant Has Deflated. What Do I Do?

Deflated Saline Implant

+2

It sounds as if your saline implant has ruptured.  Don't worry - your body has safely absorbed the saline.   Please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to schedule an implant exchange procedure.  Best of luck

Deflated saline implant.

+2

If your surgeon is still in practice in your area, call there first. Otherwise find a local plastic surgeon. If your implants are from Allergan (formerly Inamed, or McGhan) or Mentor, those companies will provide a replacement implant. If your surgery was done within 5 or 10 years you may have a monetary benefit toward the cost of replacement. 

If you have the deflated implant replaced promptly, it is a simple procedure for both you and the surgeon. If you delay, the capsule about the implant will start to contract, making the operation harder on you and on the surgeon. 

Good luck and best wishes.

What to do after a deflation-

+1

Seek a consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. It will be necessary for the implant to be removed & replaced. The surgeons office can also share with you information about the implant warranty.

George John Alexander, MD, FACS

Deflated breast implant

+1

If your implant has deflated, you shoudl get evaluated by a plstic surgeon for possible replacement or removal.  Good luck.

Deflated implant

+1

See a Board certified Plastic Surgeon for evaluation.  The implant manufacturer will usually cover the cost of the implant itself but not the surgeon's fee and facility/anesthesia costs for replacement.  Donald R. Nunn MD. Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Deflated Breast Implant

+1

Unlike a flat tire, deflated breast implants cannot be patched.  The best next step is to see a plastic surgeon in your area for replacement.  Gather information about your implants, including their manufacturer, size, implanting surgeon, date of implantation, etc.  This will determine whether or not your implants are under warranty.  Also, if you want larger, smaller, or the same size, knowing what you now have will help your surgeon select replacement(s) that will meet your needs.

Steve Laverson, MD

Deflated Saline Breast Implant; What Next?

+1

Although  deflation of a saline breast implant may be stressful,  you should have peace of mind that there is no “risk” to your health caused by the deflation.  I would suggest that you seek consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons in your area who can demonstrate significant experience with aesthetic breast surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

You will likely find that treatment options include removal of the breast implants completely, removal/replacement of the deflated breast implant only, removal/replacement of both breast implants, removal/replacement and additional surgery (for example breast lift)  if indicated.