My Saddlebags Looked Good Directly Post-op and a Few Days After but Two Weeks Later, They Seem to Be Coming Back. Why is That?

I had lipo done on my lower abdomen, hips, circumferential thighs, lateral buttocks, and inner knees. Everything looked really good albeit it a little lumpy soon after the surgery but two weeks later, my stomach doesn't look as flat which I'm guessing is due to the swelling but I am really concerned with my saddlebags. That was the biggest problem area and the area I really wanted to get rid of and they seem to be coming back. Is this due to swelling too or did the doctor not take out enough?

Swelling And Lumpiness 2 Weeks After Liposuction

+1

Swelling and lumpiness 2 weeks after liposuction is a normal variant and should improve over 3 to 6 months.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Swelling after Liposuction

+1

areas treated with Liposuction undergo a lot of changes in the first 4-6 weeks after the procedure. swelling, lumpiness, hardness are common findings. these get better over time but it can take months before you finally see the results

Misbah Khan, MD

Saddlebags after liposuction

+1
You are very early in the healing process and, if one part of the liposuctioned area has already improved, other areas may appear disproporately large. Give things a chance to settle down. Best of luck.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Liposuction Recovery

+1

Your are way too early to even look in the mirror let alone worry about results.  At this 2 week point you are still in an embryonic phase of the whole process.  Large swings in swelling occur in the first 10 weeks of recovery and could explain your thighs.  Salt ingestion (sodium) could explain the problem,.  You need to be less than 2000 mg of salt a day for 6 weeks.  A large restaurant dinner of Chinese or Italian food could contribute 5000 mg easily.  It then takes 3 to 4 days to get rid of the salt.   Some people simply swell more than others.  Large thighs take longer to recover than small thighs because the surgery is simply large and there is more trauma.  Please remember the recovery from liposuction to the end point is one year.   You should look better immediately but to look you best can well take a year.  Some patients hit an endpoint earlier but many do not.   Part of your plastic surgeon's job is to see and reassure you. All plastic surgeons know this very well.  Do not be impatient.  Impatience will drive you and all around you to distress.  Also there is no alternative to patience because there is no way to speed up the healing process.  There are ways to hinder healing but absolutely no way to speed it up.  Best,   Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon