My Right Zygomatic Bone Was Fractured in an Accident More Than 3 Years Ago, Can I Get It Set Right Now?

Zygomatic osteotomy

+1

Hi Ashok

Your best bet is to have a zygomatic osteotomy. The fracture lines are re-broken and the bone is put back into the correct position and held there with plates & screws whilst it heals. Your eye socket may need some work done to it as well, as the movement of the zygoma could create a floor defect. Your cheek fat may also need to be resuspended. There will need to be several access incisions (eyelids and mouth), and depending on how bad the fracture is, you may need a larger incision in front of your ear and up into your hairline.

This is best done in a specialised craniofacial unit (or by a Board Certified Plastic Suregon whom has done a fellowship in Craniofacial Surgery) rather than by your local Plastic Surgeon.

There are other methods of camouflaging the problem, but without solid foundations (bones), the house (cheek/face) will always look odd.

Hope this helps

Dr Gavin Sandercoe

Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Reconstructive Facial Surgery for Trauma 3 years ago

+1

There are many possibilities for reconstructing maxillofacial trauma after the fact.  Without more specific information (are you having functional symptoms chewing or opening your mouth?  or is a cosmetic deformity that is bothering you?), photographs or radiographic images, it is impossible to give you specific information.  I suggest consulting with an experienced reconstructive surgeon at a major institution for examination and further recommendations.

Dara Liotta, MD