My Right Nipple Became Very Sensitive 9 Months Post-Op Implants, What is the Problem?

I am 30.I have got silicone implants 9 months ago.4 weeks ago,my right nipple became very sensitive like my nipple was sore or cracked from inside,nothing in the appearance.(I was doing stretching exercises alot)It got worse with bra.Without bra it got better each day.After 5 days my period started.My doctor examined my implants and lymph glands and said it is OK.Now I am fine except that there is still some sensitivity that doesnt get better over time.(when my nail touches my nipple or bending down)

Breast augmentation and post operative nipple sensation

+2

healing of nerves can continue for one or two years after surgery..  changes in hormone fluxes, weight , weather, temperature, excercise can all affect these nerves. 

most likely this will settle with time.  antiinflammatories can help

Nipple hypersensitivity 9 mo. after augmentation.

+2

Hypersensitivity of the nipples is quite common immediately following breast augmentation.  It is much less common 9 mo. post-op, but not unheard of.  Vigorous exercising or stretching may well be irritating the nerves next to the breast implant.  This problem will usually correct itself with enough time.  It is good that you got checked by your doctor.  He or she is in the best position to evaluate you.

I have found that a short course of amitriptyline(an older drug, first used as an antidepressant) at low dose can sometimes settle down problems related to nerve irritation.  Give it time and talk to your surgeon if you don't improve.  Good luck.

Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

New hypersensitivity of the nipple 9 months after BA

+2

Moving the implants vigorously in the pocket, or repetitive trauma with running, can irritate the nerves that bring sensation to the nipple.  Since the brain does not know where the nerve it is irritated, the brain can only relay that it is the nerve that brings sensation to the nipple, therefore the discomfort is felt in the nipple.

The bra was probably not fitting properly and pressing on the irritated nerve in the fourth or fifth intercostal space on the side.

An appropriately fitted bra and rest should be complemented by a thorough physical examination to rule out any other issues.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Nipple Sensitivity after Breast Augmentation: More or Less but should get better.

+1

Nipple sensation after any breast surgery can be altered. In general, this does return to normal after about 3 months but can take upwards of over a year. In breast augmentation, the nerves that conduct the sensation to the nipple are typically at the most outer area of where the implant lays. Any surgery or stretching around these nerves can alter their conduction of sensation, making the sensation around the nipple either numb or really sensitive. If your nipple was somewhat numb and the nerve is regenerating it can be really sensitive. It usually will get better. Try to protect it with maybe a gel lactation pad and/or a comfortable bra. 

Dr. Trussler

Sensory issues

+1

It sounds like you had irritation to the nipple and perhaps the resultant injury made the nipple sensitive. In this case, it probably will get better.

Nipple has become sensitive nine months after implants

+1

Nipple sensation can be affected by breast implants, most often temporarily. We can't explain however why you have sensitivity develop nine months later. Good you've seen your surgeon.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com

Hypersensitivity after Breast Augmentation?

+1

Your situation is somewhat unusual,  in that most patients who have nipple hypersensitivity have this sensation after surgery  and find that it gradually results.

New onset hypersensitivity is unusual and may not be related to your breast implants ( our breast surgery)  as opposed to  the overlying breast tissue. Evaluation by your GYN physician as well as your plastic surgeon may be helpful.

Sorry,  I cannot be of more help.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastaugmentation.htm

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.