Is my Right Nipple Ok? 2 Days After Breast Reduction? (PHOTO)

I know it's probably too early to be concerned but I'm worried about my right nipple. The left one seems to be healing fine but my right areola is not a round shape like my left and it's darker plus the nipple seems to be hidden. What is your opinion? I have an appointment with my plastic surgeon in exactly one week. This is my second day after surgery.

Dark nipple after breast reduction

+2

You look swollen and bruised and the nipple looks dark but viable.  You should immediately see your surgeon in case theer are some measures to help improve tissue viability.  Your surgeon may want to release some stitches to decompress things.

Dusky nipples

+2
Normally I see patients 2 days postop to evaluate their drainage. I do not see drains in place in your case. I have some concern, not so much about the shape of the nipple at this point in healing, but about the coloration. This could indicate diminished blood supply. I agree with the other physicians that you should call your doctor and be seen ASAP for evaluation. Wishing you the best of luck!

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Nipple OK after Breast Reduction?

+2

It would be in your best interest to see your plastic surgeon ASAP  to evaluate the blood flow to the nipple areola complexes. This  can be done much better in person;  intervention may be necessary if the blood flow/supply is an issue. Please see him/her today if possible.

Please see your surgeon asap

+2

I can't tell exactly from your photos but both nipples look a bit dark and this can be a sign of blood flow compromise.  Without preop photos I don't know your natural nipple color but either way I would not wait a week to see your doctor but would call and ask to be seen asap.  Waiting a week may eliminate being able to help this before it becomes uncorrectable.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Is my nipple ok 2 days after surgery?

+1
Your nipples look congested and are in danger of becoming necrotic. If that happens you may loose par of the nipple or the entire nipple. Your plastic surgeon can tell you what is happening by examining you and assess the blood flow to your nipples. There are a few things that can be done to save a congested nipple. It is best to discuss these options with your plastic surgeon. It is also important to see him or her immediately.

Farhad Rafizadeh, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

+1

Seek immediate care based upon your posted photos! Appears as early superficial necrosis that needs treatment.