My Right Implant is So Much Higher Than the Other. Is This Normal? (photos)

Hello, I had breast augmentation two weeks ago. Before my surgery I had breast asymmetry. My right was smaller than my left. My implant was 250 in each breast and the smaller (right) was filled to 275, and the smaller side (left) was filled to 250. After I got home from my surgery, it was still very uneven. Today (two weeks after) It looks bigger but my right breast is so much higher than the left & a little smaller. Is this normal? What should I do?

Breast Augment

+1
I agree with the other docs, speak to your surgeon. Sometimes we try and manipulate implants in the office with some maneuvres if we think one is riding too high

Right Implant Higher than the Left Breast Implant 2 weeks after surgery

+1

It is very common for the breast implants to drop at different rates.  The right implant is larger and was placed in a smaller pocket since it was your smaller breast, so it will take more time to drop down.  You should follow up with your plastic surgeon to see if he or she recommends downward massage or strapping of only the higher right breast implant to help it match the lower left one sooner.  It is still very early in the recovery period and the implants have certainly not dropped to their final resting positions, but it would be good to see your plastic surgeon to come up with a suitable game plan to get the best end result possible.

Kent V. Hasen, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Give it time

+1

Hello. Two weeks is not near enough time for the implants to settle and they are also swollen. Your implants will not settle for about another three to four months and I would not be too worried about your outcome until then. Until then the best thing you can do to help them settle would be to massage and continue using any compressive dressings your surgeon had provided
Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Augmentation Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Right Implant Higher 2 Weeks after Breast Augmentation

+1

The larger implant usually takes longer to drop, but, in any breast augmentation, rarely do the implants drop at the same time.  Do not despair at this stage.  Your breasts will likely change with time. Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Be Patient

+1

You are very early on in your recovery, so it is impossible to determine if you have an issue or not.  The variation that you can clearly see is real....but things will soften and settle with time.  As previously mentioned...most patients that see this will see it on the right side.  It is possible that you may have some persistent asymmetry in the long run, but don't worry about making that evaluation for several months. 

K. Dwayne Fulks, MD
Chattanooga Plastic Surgeon

My Right Implant is So Much Higher Than the Other.

+1

It is not uncommon to see breast asymmetry during the first few months after surgery, Usually, not always, the "handed" side is the one that is higher, because it has the thicker pectoral muscle which can take longer to relax and allow the implant to settle. 

Follow up with your surgeon, massage as instructed, and if you are not wearing one, ask your surgeon about a pectoral band to apply constant but gentle downward pressure. 

It may take 3 to 6 months for the implants to settle.

All the best.