My right eyelid always looks puffy or swollen. Why could that be? (photo)

I do have allergies. Is it because of that? When I close my eyes slightly, it seems like the crease is also uneven. Will eyelid surgery fix this? Thanks!

Upper blepharoplasty for eyelid asymmetry

+2
Based on your photograph it appears that the left upper eyelid (the right in the photograph) has more skin and possibly fat which is causing an asymmetry.

I agree you need a careful examination and consultation.  If in fact you have excess skin and fat on one eyelid, it is possible a unilateral blepharoplasty could improve symmetry of your upper eyelids.

Right upper eyelid ptosis-no question.

+2
The real question is what else is going on?  It assessing ptosis that appears to only involve one eyelid, it is very important to determine if the other side is normal or abnormal.  If you do not do this, you fix one side the normal appearing eyelid can become heavy after surgery.  The other thing is that you have more inferior scleral show on the right side so it is very important to be assessed for the basis for this.  From the photographs it looks like the right eye may be more prominent than the left eye.  I strongly recommend that you look for help from fellowship trained oculoplastic surgeons.  The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains a geographic directory on their website that can help you find a well qualified surgeon (ASOPRS dot org).

Asymmetric eyelid

+2
basically this is probably due to a difference in how your eyelid crease was attached to the tendon underneath the skin.  There is a tendon call the levator attached to the muscle of the same named that opens her eyes.  It is very normal to have asymmetric creases of the eyelids.  You can create a crease that is in a more symmetric location but I would say these things are not necessary.  I'll attach a video on ptosis surgery which you may have in the mildest sense.

Chase Lay, MD
Double board-certified facial plastic surgeon

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Slight asymmetries of the upper eyelids are common.

+2
The slight asymmetry that you notice in the photographs is completely within the degrees of freedom abnormality. I don't think there is any indication to treated surgically.

Eyelid ptosis giving appearance of swollen eyelid

+1
There is right upper eyelid ptosis (droopy) which can give appearance of swollen eyelid. There may also be other problems involved. Best to be evaluated by an oculoplastic surgeon. If it is eyelid ptosis, then treatment exist.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Puffy swollen eyelid

+1
Thank you for your question. It does look like there may be some excess skin and fat on one eyelid. You could consider having a unilateral blepharoplasty. However, it is difficult to make both eyes look exactly the same. I would recommend a consultation with a board certified Oculofacial plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Kristin J. Tarbet, MD
Bellevue Oculoplastic Surgeon