I would like it to be less bulbous, less wide, and to not project as much. Are my Rhinoplasty Expectations Realistic? (photo)

Before I schedule my consultations, I was wondering if my expectations are realistic and achievable. I would like my nose to fit my face better and to have a more delicate and feminine appearance. To do this, I would like it to be less bulbous, less wide, and to not project as much. My nose seems to stick straight out with very little sloping, so I wondered how this could be fixed and the extent to which the bulbous shape can be reduced? Also, I dislike how wide my nose becomes when I smile.

Are my expectations realistic before surgery?

+2

When a patient asks if their expectations are realistic prior to undergoing surgery suggests an important level of maturity and thoughtfulness. Afte rall, there is no surgery that can overcome unrealistic expectations!  It is also wise to understand that nasal surgery, for example, should always be designed to take into account the rest of the face (balance and harmony) rather than just focusing on the shape of the nose. So ideally, the surgeon & patient together have a very honest discussion preoperatively about what is likely to occur or not occur from surgery. And do not forget that healing (for at least 1 year or if not longer) also can affect results and expectations.

Louisville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Are my rhinoplasty expectations realistic?

+2

I believe they are realistic. I would suggest though that you do not try to have too small a nose which would not fit your face. You should have a consult with computer imaging to make sure you and your surgeon are in agreement about how much and what type of change you would like to see.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Realistic expectations

+1

From your photo, you appear to be a good candidate for rhinoplasty surgery. The best way to find out if your goals are realistic is to review your concerns and options with a board-certified plastic surgeon.  The surgeon can examine you and provide you with a realistic  idea of what can be achieved.

George John Alexander, MD, FACS

Are My Rhinoplasty Expectations Realistic?

+1

Thank you for your question, Ashlee. Rhinoplasty can address each of the concerns that you've raised. Whether your expectations are realistic is a different question and depends on you. An in-person consultation with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon can provide valuable information about what you may reasonably expect to accomplish with rhinoplasty. I hope that helps.

James M. Pearson, MD

Rhinoplasty

+1

Your requests do not seem out of proportion to your photos so I would say on the face of it they appear realistic. I think refining the tip by trimming the tip cartilages, naroowing the base and infracture of the nasal bones will get you closer to what you want. Your nasal skin looks thick and that can make the surgical adjustments to the cartilage less visible.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Are my Rhinoplasty Expectations Realistic? (photo)

+1

Realistic but you need in person examination by boarded PSs in your area. This allows you to understand the possibilities and result intended. 

What is realistic for my rhinoplasty

+1

i believe you are realistic.. an open rhinoplasty will allow the best results for the tip..  the width of your nose may require a weir excision but this can also be done at a later stage if need be.

Rhinoplasty goals

+1

The goal to have a more delicate and feminine nose is reasonable. I would recommend you sit down with an experienced Plastic Surgeon and get their thoughts on the exact specifics of your case. 

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Realistic expectations are critical for rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Ashlee, thank you for the photos, they are very helpful.  The most significant part of your nose is the bulbous tip and this along with the other features would be achievable.  Discuss your goals with a board certified plastic surgeon and if you are comfortable with this relationship then proceed with the procedure. 

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Are rhinoplasty expectations realistic

+1

Your nose can benefit from the changes you suggest, however terms are hard to quantify when considering what is right for you. We prefer computer imaging during consultation to 'try out' changes and results, to give a clearer understanding and direction, about final results. The computer can show what 'a little smaller' might look like, and your surgeon can give you an idea of what is realistic.

peterejohnsonmd.com