Will my Results Be What I Want Them to Be Without MR? (photo)

I'm scheduled for my abdominoplasty in about a month, and my doctor extended me the offer of doing a "skin-only" procedure - that is, the TT but without the muscle repair. This would be less painful, less recovery time, and if I ever decided I did want to have children (have none now) would avoid putting pressure on the baby from the stitched muscles. He said he only detected a little bit of muscle separation... do you think I will have the result I want without MR, judging from my pictures?

Will my Results Be What I Want Them to Be Without MR? (

+1

You will certainly have improvement in the skin excess with a TT. Without an in person exam, I would hesitate to advise one way or another on the muscle tightening other than to say it is an unusual patient who doesn't benefit. 

It is true that there is somewhat less discomfort if no muscle repair is done.

Most of us use dissolving sutures for the MR. It seems remotely possible but highly unlikely that a muscle repair would interfere with a pregnancy.

Thanks and best wishes. 

Will my Results Be What I Want Them to Be Without MR? #tummytuck ANS:

+1

It's really up to you if you want the muscles tightened! The best thing would be to wait until you know you are done with kids. What if you have the skin only and then your muscles really split with pregnancy? And your skin might stretch out too and need attention as well after kids. But if you really wanted to proceed, I would probably do the skin only!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Will my Results Be What I Want Them to Be Without MR?

+1

I would recommend a muscle repair with your TT. But only in person examination will allow a final decision. 

Tummy tuck without muscle repair

+1

If you have not had any child or has not had significant weight gain/loss, then your muscle should be in good condition and probably not needing repair. Of course, final assessment comes from physical examination. Sounds like your surgeon has a solid plan for you already. 

Best Wishes,

Stewart Wang, MD FACS, Wang Plastic Surgery

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck with or without muscle repair

+1

Tummy tuck without a muscle repair will be less painful.  The question is, would you benefit from  a  muscle repair or not. Judging from your pictures, I would tend to agree with your surgeon.  As your abdomen appears to be relatively flat, there is probably not a big argument to be made for repairing muscle.

Good luck with your procedure,

Doug Hargrave, M.D. 

Douglas Hargrave, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck without Muscle Repair

+1

Usually, a traditional tummy tuck involves tightening of the abdominal muscles, removal of excess skin, and some liposuction of the flanks. Each patient is different and require different degrees of each part. It is possible to not do a muscle repair at all. If your muscles are not separated, then the muscle repair is unnecessary. This would certainly speed your recovery and be less painful. Only your surgeon can really determine if you can omit the muscle repair part of a tummy tuck and requires an in person evaluation (to actually "feel" if there is muscle separation).  Many women are good candidates for this "skin-only" tummy tuck and great excellent results.

Matthew Schulman, MD

Your belly is perfect for only lypo/ tu abdomen es perfecto solo para lipó

+1

yes i strongly agree with your doctor you wont need any muscles correction and  besides any  skin resecction i would  really do a vasser lypo and 1 month after that  the utilization of an elastic compressive garment and the results will be wonderfull.

yo estoy de acuerdo con tu medico no requeriras  ninguna reseccion de piel y mucho menos de correccion de  diastasis de musculos, con una buena lipo ultrasonica  vasser  y el usoi por un mes de  faja elastica compresiva abdominal los resultados  seran fantasticos

Ramon Navarro, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Muscle repair

+1

Assessing the quality of the abdominal wall can only be done by examination. Most younger women who have not had children get good results without muscle tightening

Michael Hueneke, MD