Are my Results Normal?

I had chin liposuction one month ago. I still have a hard, sore lump and the skin is saggy. I wore my chin strap constantly at first and now that I'm back at work I wear it in the evening. The incision is quite noticable as well. My PS told me to massage the area. I am not happy with results! Is this normal after one month?

One Month after Chin Liposuction

+1

If the hard lump is not a fluid collection, then this may get better with time as swelling goes down and scar softens.  Massage can be helpful as well.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Chin Liposuction - It takes several months to see final result

+1

Chin (Submental) Liposuction: What to expect
There are many predictable portions of the healing process that ALL PATIENTS EXPERIENCE after liposuction. Temporary areas of firmness (lumps) can be seen early on but usually resolve on their own. Although both doctor and patients would like to not have this happen, it is part of the healing process. These Side effects refer to what you will be experiencing from the healing process: Here are some of the common things you will experience. The common side effects include: swelling which is maximum 2-3 days later, bruising (highly variable), numbness which takes several months to resolve,  tightness takes several days to months to resolve, discomfort (generally mild with this surgery, nausea (variable) and in some patients emotional lability in some. Although most of the visible edema resolves in 2-3 weeks in mini-lifts and 3-4 weeks in traditional facelift approaches, residual firmness (edema you feel but don’t see) can linger for several months. Skin suppleness also takes a while to return as does scar maturation. I tell my patients it takes up to a year for final resolution of the healing process. A chin strap often hastens recovery after neck/submental chin liposuction. In my experience, the above rough time table is usually delayed in smokers, when multiple procedures are performed together and when resurfacing procedures are done at the same time as the lift. The same is true if complications occur such as infection, hematoma, skin loss or compromise, etc

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Recovery after chin liposuction

+1

At 4 weeks post chin liposuction, it's common to have firm, sore lump, visible scar, and some saggy skin. The lumpiness will improve with time, but massage therapy will greatly aid the speed of recovery. I have used both ultrasound assisted massage therapy and laser assisted massage therapy to help the patients recover faster. The visible scar will also fade with time but may depend on your skin pigmentation. Make sure you discuss with your plastic surgeon about the options to improve your scar appearance. Finally, the saggy skin improvement may dependent on the quality of skin and how much excessive skin that you have prior to the procedure. If the skin quality is poor then the skin retraction after liposuction may be minimal and you may need a neck lift to improve the contour. Typically, I would wait about 3 to 6 months after the procedure to determine the final result.

Sincerely,

Stewart Wang, MD FACS, Wang Plastic Surgery

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

Chin lump after surgery

+1

This may just be swelling and can take some time to resolve.  It is hard to assess you without seeing photos.  Also, I prefer to perform this area using smartlipo, which can also tighten the skin.  I am not sure if you had traditional liposuction or did you have smartlipo or laser assisted liposuction? Good luck with your recovery.

Dr. Vasisht- South Shore Plastic Surgery 

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

Hard, sore lump after chin liposuction

+1

It is not uncommon to have a firm area of swelling under the chin after liposuction of that area that can last 4 - 6 weeks as a result of the swelling from the trauma of the procedure.  However, these lumps are not usually sore.  Also, there is usually not a noticeable incision after liposuction of the chin.  I would see your plastic surgeon in follow-up to be sure you are healing appropriately.

Lawrence A. Osman, MD
Woodland Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Hello

+1
Without a picture or an exam it is hard to say if it normal result. Massaging a lump is definitely for after liposuction .

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS