My Question is Do You Need a Ekg for an Otoplasty Surgery?i M 32 Years Old...thank You!

EKG prior to surgery

+2

No need for an EKG for routine otoplasty  if you are under 50 years old and have no medical problems.

Good luck !!!

Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

Pre operative testing

+2

For routine procedures in patients under 50 year old an EKG is not usually required.   If you have any existing health issues then discuss these with your surgeon and the anesthesiology staff.    

Do you need an EKG before surgery if you're 32?

+2

If you are otherwise healthy with no reason to think that you have heart disease a preop EKG isn't normally needed before otoplasty surgery (or any other surgery in general) if you are less than 50 years old. Some surgeons may want you to get one, though, depending on their practice preference.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Workup for surgery

+2

I do not require an EKG for healthy patients under the age of 50.  The only reason I would ask you to have one done is a personal or strong family history of heart disease.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty Preop?

+2

No, an EKG for a healthy 32-year-old patient about to undergo otoplasty surgery would not be a requirement  In my practice.

EKG

+2

I do not require an EKG in my patients as long as they are healthy overall if under the age of 50 .  Each doctor has their own protocol regarding this. Also sometimes this may be a policy requirement of the hospital, surgi-center, or the anesthesiologist involved. There is no harm in obtaining an EKG , but most surgeons probably won't require it and it's always nice if you can save a little money.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

EKG preop

+2

I typically wouldn't request for someone your age, unless:

1. Strong history of heart disease in the family.

2. You have hypertension.

3.  Have diabetes and other medical risk factors.

You don't need to do the procedure under anesthesia.  Below is an example of what can be done under local anesthesia without the risks of sedation or general anesthesia.

Best of luck

Chase Lay MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Preoperative Testing Not Needed For Otoplasty

+2

At your age and for that procedure, I would not require one in my practice nor would my surgery center. For healthy males under the age of 50 with no medical illnesses, we do not require any preoperative testing for an uncomplicated and short procedure such as an otoplasty.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Preoperative labs

+2

The preoperative workup would depend on your present health and past medical history. If you have any symptoms or history of hear problems then yes you will need an EKG and may be a full cardiac work up. That is determined by your family physician and the surgeon

Otoplasty surgery needing ekg and preoperative clearance

+1

From a routine standpoint, you can get a chest xray, ekg, and blood work. The utility of preoperative lab work etc has been found to be of low yield when there are no issues that are obvious. If you are healthy and you can walk up 2 flights of stairs and exercise without chest pain or shortness of breath (where you feel like you are going to have a heart attack and not the winded feeling that is normal with working out) you are usually pretty healthy to have a procedure. The only time I might do this is if you smoked for 20 years prior to this point, etc and other risk factors.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon