My Question is About Chin Implants from 35 Years Ago. I Believe It Was 1978. I'm Having Discomfort?

My question is can the chin implants used in 1978 break down over the years and cause problems in the glands in the neck.......i have pretty bad discomfort in my glands in my neck and they stay somewhat swolen. could this be from the implant breaking down? is there some sort of testing that can be done to see if I have toxins from the silicone or casing of the silicone in my system? I'm desperate to find this out. I feel worse as time goes on. thank you

Chin Implants Causing Gland Swelling

+1

As the other respondents indicated, it is highly unlikely that your chin implant is causing a problem, as long as it was made of solid silicone rubber.  However, there were other materials used in the past made of other substances than can break down.  However, these usually would not cause gland swelling.  It is much more likely that your gland swelling is being caused by chronic inflammation of the submandibular glands, and not the implant.  An Otolaryngologist (Ear, Nose & Thoat doctor) can easily assess you for this.

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant 35 years ago

+1

Chin implants are made of solid silicone, unlike breast implants, which have been made with liquid silicone.  The solid silicone would not break down or travel throughout your system, so I doubt it would be the cause of issues in your neck.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Old Chin Implant Causing Problems ??

+1

While your old chin implant may be some form of silicone, it would be highly unlikely to be leaking and causing any automimmune reactions. If you really want to see whether your chin implant is causing any local reactions, a simple panorex x-ray looking for any osteolysis (bone erosion) around the implant would be a good screening tool.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD