My question is: will artefil hardness breakdown over time? If not, can it be removed by lower blepharoplasty surgery?

I had artefil put under my eyes. Sadly the Dr. didn't tell me that it wasn't recomended for this. I now have a long hard lump on the the top other the lower portion on of each eye socket. It now looks as if I have large fat areas there, as if I would be a perfect candidate for lower blepharoplasty. My question is: will artefil hardness breakdown over time? If not, can it be removed by lower blepharoplasty surgery.

Artefill for Under the Eyes

+1
Artefill is not FDA approved for anywhere but in the nasolabial folds, but it can be used almost anywhere. It actually excels as an under the eye filler but a lot of physicians do not understand that the product is mostly collagen and just a small amount of the PMMA or plastic beads that are powder like, they are so small. These beads actually ask your body to make or build small amounts of tissue around them. This takes 3 to 6 months during which time the collagen will be absorbed. I show patients the results as soon as I am finished treating an area before the swelling occurs. That immediate result is the result they will get after the swelling, bruising, slight scarring from the injection injury and the collagen all settle down and go away.

Artefill has been a tremendous benefit to many of my patients for treating under the eye. Hopefully you will have the same result but you need to give it long enough to get the smoothing and for the bumps to resolve if you get them (3 to 6 months).

Hopefully this helps and you get a great result.

Best regards.

Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Lumps under eyes

+1
Lower eyelid blepharoplasty can be used to gain access to the problem area and to allow removal of excess collagen build-up should it occur. Best of luck.

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Artefill problem under eyes

+1
I am not aware of lumps or hard areas from Artefill breaking down over time.  If you do have lumps under the eyes, they could be removed surgically however.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon