Is my PS Reputable? He is Not Yet Board Certified.

My PS is not Board Certified he says this is his first year of practice. He says he is a candidate member of ASPS. He completed a plastic surgery residency and a one-year fellowship in hand and microsurgery. He is a Geisinger Dr. and has privileges to perform surgeries at an accredited hospital. I'm really nervous about him not being board certified, what should I do? I can see him or his colleague but there is a long wait for the other Dr that is Board Certified and I am sick of waiting.!!??

New Plastic Surgeons can be just fine

+2

You have asked a good question. It sounds as though this Plastic surgeon has recently (probably within the past two years) completed his training. In order to be Board Certified you must complete and pass certain requirements. One of these is to actually perform surgery and document your cases. The cases are later submitted and reviewed. During the final stage of certification the candidate will have to answer specific questions from very experienced Plastic surgeons regarding the cases he submitted.These are the oral board examinations. Anyway, it is a process. We all started the same way. Depending upon the procedure and his training he is probably very qualified to perform your surgery. You should feel comfortable however asking questions about the surgery, expectations and recovery. Ask how many he did during his training in order to get a better idea of his experience. If the procedure you are looking for requires a lot of finesse, than sometimes more experience is better. It is a very individual situation. Good luck.